Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1994 Capri Starting Problems

seasonalskier2006
08-27-2008, 11:24 AM
Lately my capri has had intermittent starting problems, it would not turn over no matter how long you tried it, the starter cranks but it just wont go. But if you wait a while and tried it again it would magically work, this was all fine for a while until now it wont turn over ever. I checked the plugs, no spark, so i also checked the ignition transformer?? The part that gives the spark to the electronic distributer, and there was still no charge, so i tried replacing that but it still didnt work, so i am guessing it is before that, obviously. Ok so here is the question, has anyone had this problem before and how did you fix it, OR does anyone have the electronic diagram for the 94 capri starter/ignition system? Thanks for all your help!!

Ken

rhandwor
08-28-2008, 08:06 AM
Assuming the starter is turning over the motor. Take a 12 volt test light and place it on the coil negative. As somebody else is trying to start the car the light should blink. If it doesn't blink get a new pickup for the distributor. If it blinks take the module to Advance or Auto Zone they will test them free. The module is on the side of the distributor.
If the motor isn't turning over put a socket and breaker bar on the bolt for the harmonic balancer and make sure you can turn the motor over then reply.

seasonalskier2006
09-02-2008, 09:27 PM
ok so we found the problem, and i feel dumb admitting it, but when we tested the distributor we didn't check the points on the cap or the rotor itself, well they were torched. My guess is the gap was too wide that it was burning the cap and rotor whenever it sparked, and that it wasn't starting all the time because of the gap distance and we just got lucky when it did start! Thanks for your help!!

Add your comment to this topic!