Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rx7 turbo issue/starting issue/all kinds of stuff...any advice is appreciated

neffsrx7
08-27-2008, 04:30 AM
I have an 87 rx7 i just bought, it had been sitting for a few years, and the owner had started messing with stuff to get it running, but they had no idea what to do regarding this car, so they let me take it off their hands. so here is the problem i have...

when i go to start it when its cold, it wont stay running, i end up having to crank on it, 20 times, and pumping the pedal to try and get it going. it runs really rough, i am going to adjust the fuel/air mixture, because its running too rich, but still, it seems real rough, after i get it started and warmed up, it will idle and not die (but still rough)

now if i try and drive it, and i accelerate for the turbo to kick in, it stutters and hesitates, and never gets going until i back off the pedal. its builds up boost, but never seems to work, even after ive driven it for awhile. the people that owned it years ago were crackheads, with crazy wiring, there was a pile of extra wires i took off, just from the mess they made of things :banghead:..so before i start tearing into this stuff blind, im hoping some here might have an idea of what I am looking at. thanks guys!

neil_jdmr
08-26-2009, 01:25 PM
Sound like a chipped/broken apex seal and will need a compression test to be sure.

drftk1d
09-03-2009, 02:25 PM
might be an injector problem, but you really shouldn't try to hit boost with the motor in the condition that you say its in.

IMO, you should look at getting the motor rebuilt because it's been sitting for a while, and the seals can go bad from sitting. Rebuild costs vary but expect to pay at least $900.

Add your comment to this topic!