Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

ford is running rough

socool371
08-26-2008, 05:51 PM
i have a 93 Ford Explorer XLt when i am driving it turn off and some times when i am driving it seem as thou it is running out of gas when the tank is half full i had new plugs put in today with a oil change and when i turn the key on i can hear the pump turn on but this time their is a noise it sound like a bee trap inside a plastic bag,and some time their is black smoke coming from the tail pipe .After i had some work done it today it still run rough can someone help me and quick:banghead:

shorod
08-26-2008, 10:49 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Does the "bee in a bag" noise only last for a few seconds after you turn the key to the run position (ie: only while the pump is priming the fuel system)? Do you have access to a fuel pressure tester where you can get KOEO and KOER fuel pressure measurements?

-Rod

shorod
08-27-2008, 09:26 PM
Based on the information in the private message you sent me, it sounds like your fuel pump may be the source of the noise. As I mentioned, you should have the fuel pressure checked to see if it's within specifications.

The black exhaust would be an indication of a rich exhaust condition, possibly due to a misfire. When the spark plugs were replaced, were the plug wires also replaced? You might have a plug wire or two that is bad and causing a couple of cylinders not to fire.

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!