Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

is this the transmission?

justinkehr
08-23-2008, 06:36 PM
hello. can someone please help me? i just bought my 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee, about a month ago. i haven't had any problems with it until today.

i just drove it and at one point it just stopped going over about 25 MPH, nomatter how much i pushed the gas. it is an aoutomatic transmission.

what happens is when i start it going forward, by pushing the gas, the rpms will rev way up, then start to slowly fall back down, but then the car's speed slows wayyy down, to almost stopping. then, i'll try to keep hitting the gas to get it to go, but i pretty much have to aply the brakes again, to move forward at all.

does any one have any idea what this problem is, and how much it would cost to fix?

thank you.

knelleken
08-23-2008, 08:59 PM
it sounds like you are going to need to take it in. you probably have worn out clutches and or bands in your transmission or maby the torque converter went. ether way, if you have slipage going on then your going to need the transmission removed and gone through. only other (doubtfull) thing is bad differential gears or a wornout transfer case. try sticking it in 4wd low and see what it does.
what ever the case is,its a problem that will cost you so be prepaired for the worst.

SteveB05
08-25-2008, 08:20 PM
Hold on...you apply the brakes to get it working again? Thats wierd. For everything else, certainly sounds like transmission. However, if hitting the brake fixes it, it could be an ABS issue.

Add your comment to this topic!