Bad Mechanic

doberman_52
08-22-2008, 04:37 PM
Had a mechanic replace the Head, Waterpump, battery, and clean out the fuel system in the beginning of July, got it back July 11th. Alo replaced some wireing and the TBI Injector with out letting me know before he did. shortly after getting it back, it starts blowing white smoke out the tail pipe and going through antifreeze, assuming its burning it from bad Head or Gasket. Asked him if he could take a look at it bout week and a half ago and told him what it was doing. Brought it in to him today to have him check it out, runing ok, idled fine being the conditions and not missing or chugging or dieing. When he brought it back, it misses and chugs and wont stay running at idle. Just told me to replace the plugs and put a can of bars leak in for now. I reordered a head for it from Autozone (warranty). He wont warranty his work, or gaskets and studs, says the company that made the head should and that I need to call them. We had also bought the head ourselves because he could not find one. Is there anything that we can do to make him cover it by warranty? also never bother to do an inspection or anything to see what else was wrong and some were obvious like the motor mounts and kick down linkage being bad.

bobss396
09-09-2008, 11:44 AM
Unfortunately you supplied the cylinder head, this gives the mechanic a great "out" from assuming any liability. A bad head and or head gasket gives the same symptoms so the whole works would have to come apart to see if it was the head or something that he did.

Try to get him to work with you (if you still trust him) on a reduction of labor, if not you'd have to go elsewhere and start all over. Many shops will not do work on customer's cars when they supply their own parts.

Bob

Airjer_
09-09-2008, 11:59 AM
Agreed! When you supply your own parts the shop has no obligation to give any "warranty" on those parts. They had no control on where they where purchased or wether the company supplying them are reputable or what kind of warranty the supplier offers if there is a problem. When you purchase your own parts you assume all those responsibilities. If you had the shop supply the head than there parts and labor warranties would apply to the parts in question.

You could think of it this way. You went to a steak house and brought your own steak. It was served to you cooked to order. When you took your first bite it tasted funny and was extremely tough. Should the steak house give you another for free?

doberman_52
09-10-2008, 02:09 AM
My final questions were anwswered, since I was left out in how things went, I got screwed, but hopefully I can get things taken care of before this all makes it worse. Because of this car I was fired, but o well, theres more jobs out there. Yes we supplied the head, but he ad drilled into it to make water ports since it wasnt the right one, my gf's dad said it was fine and never consulted me even though it was my car (I would have said no), so that would have been the only thing that would have been on my side, but was given permission by her dad. Hopefully things work out with getting this cavilier that ive been looking at, and then I can set aside this one for now till I can afford redoing all his work, but I will not let him touch it again, since i got it back, ive been hearing bad stories bout him, but of course never before it went to him. Thanks anyways.

Airjer_
09-10-2008, 10:14 AM
Its unfortunate that this happened, but I'm glad you brought it up as many, like you, don't understand how the warranty process works. The more educated we are when we need a service, no matter what it is, the better off we will be in the end. From making the best decisions to finding the best providers.

Your first red flag should have been they could not find a head! I have never worked for a shop that couldn't find a part. In fact I have many times gone to great lengths on my own time to find parts for a customer. Whether it be going to the local u-pulls, searching online, or making phone calls. The second red flag would be drilling into the head. If its not the right part its not the right part.

Good luck on your second attempt! Will you be using the same shop?

doberman_52
09-15-2008, 03:27 AM
Its unfortunate that this happened, but I'm glad you brought it up as many, like you, don't understand how the warranty process works. The more educated we are when we need a service, no matter what it is, the better off we will be in the end. From making the best decisions to finding the best providers.

Your first red flag should have been they could not find a head! I have never worked for a shop that couldn't find a part. In fact I have many times gone to great lengths on my own time to find parts for a customer. Whether it be going to the local u-pulls, searching online, or making phone calls. The second red flag would be drilling into the head. If its not the right part its not the right part.

Good luck on your second attempt! Will you be using the same shop?My gf's dad dealt with him through most of the process, and said the mech could drill into it, I never found out bout that till after i got it back. But the mech told me he only would go through two or three providers when I last talked to him, he could get one, but it would have been another 3 weeks suposedly. To bad I fould out everything afterwards or I may have prevented everything in the first place. I bought a cavalier in this last week so I wont have to worry bout the tempo for a bit so I can get my feet on the ground and get stufff straight before I attempt to fix it again, but I will take it to one of my trusted mech's at that time or do it myself if I have the time. It will now go for my gf as her first car at that point, sadly repairs were much more than anticipated so its not worth it to ditch the car even tho its woirth $200 to others, its worth over 2 grand to me due to the mech (2 year loan). Also, just out of curiosity, if a car gets repoed due to nonpayment of a loan, what goes on with the loan after that? No one has evert told me bout how all that works. Thanks for the info

skibum1111
09-28-2008, 09:30 AM
After the car is repossessed, the finance company will auction it off, and if the car sells for more than you owe you get the difference. If the car sells for less, then you are stuck with the balance due, and often they demand it within 30 days.

Add your comment to this topic!