Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

reliable pads and rotors set for 05 Camry

nmikmik
08-22-2008, 10:54 AM
What would you recommend for maybe not the best but a good set of front brakes for a spirited driver.

I am really tired of replacing mi wife's front brakes (or brakes in general)
This month is the worst for brakes for me.
I replaced her front brakes using new Raybestos rotors and pads from Kragen. It's not the first time i have to replace her brakes, she is a realtor and drives a lot of miles most of them like a maniac :screwy: so the last two sets of rotors (pads were just fine) i had to replace on her car were shot because they were warped and overheated and I didn't want to mess with resurfacing them.
Two weeks ago she rode the P. brake on for miles and destroyed the rear brake shoes. I went to Kragen turned the rotors & of course was forced to go to the dealer for shoes cause nobody had the rite shoes for that car. Now after replacing the rear breaks the brake pedal feel somewhat soft even after bleeding the system and I suspect it's because she probably shot the front brakes again because she drove about a week without the rear brakes. I never can get her to stop the car and let me work on it and she doesn't like driving mine.:shakehead

inafogg
08-22-2008, 12:18 PM
no offense but i think the problem is the driver.i use raybestos or bendix brake parts & never have a problem.you may try using a pair of slotted rotors so they dont get as hot.again no offense & Good Luck

nmikmik
08-22-2008, 01:55 PM
Thanks & no offense taken! :biggrin:
i was really hoping i don't need to go with slotted rotors because of expense, but will if I have to. Neither speeding tickets nor gas prices were able to slow her down so far.
if do go with slotted what pads should i use with them?

jdmccright
08-22-2008, 02:40 PM
Bendix/Raybestos are the better brands to use, but in your case I'd look for rotors & pads that offer a long warranty...you'd still be changing parts out, just not paying for them. Haven't heard if the slotted type are worth it, but to me it sounds like she'd just ruin a $200 pair of rotors versus $60.

I'll also stress that proper adjustment of the rear brakes is important. Done right, the rear brakes CAN and DO help stop the car. My method is to adjust the rears so that the drums spin free (or very slight, intermittent drag) yet setting the parking brake to the first click will make them very hard to turn when spun with the fingers holding the studs. Proper adjustment will be noticeable as less front-end dive upon applying the brakes, then increase as more force is applied.

Hope this helps!

Add your comment to this topic!