Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How to remove intake manifold on 2001 Tahoe?

Ramsair
08-21-2008, 10:03 PM
Hello all -
Blew out my knock sensor under the intake manifold after cleaning my engine. Service engine light came on - had the computer scanned - code P0332 came up. Had it cleared, came back up.

All the research I have done online tells me that I will need to pull the intake and replace the sensors (2). I could not find anything that explains the process of removal.

For those of you who have done this repair, is it that intuitive as to what to take off first, etc - is there anything special work arounds to apply to the process.

I can't imagine this is that hard of a process - thoughts?

Thank you,

Chris

spytearbite
08-21-2008, 10:21 PM
If you just washed that engine bay and the sensor is now reading wet or condensation is in the unit?
What you are saying is; you washed the engine an all of a sudden the dash threw the code under the manifold?

You know, I would just ride that car and let the sensor dry out or just go back to some sort of heat cycle you using the car all normal like. You will all of a sudden see the dash go out with that code or you cycle the key and the code is gone.

I would wait a few days to weeks for that to settle out. If not, then you have to be an engineer and look at the top cover on down as to how you would assemble it from the bottom up is to look at it from the top down.

You need the proper tools and you also need to read the wire diagram and make sure you did not spike what might be a washed pin to pin connector being all water soap corroded or who knows what the water shorted via harness/sensor/connector is let it, 'Ride & Dry.'

You have nothing to lose but keep your eyes on the road is the car runs in either analog rheostat type signals in 10ths of volts or a single electronic single in the 'digital' like it is feeding the ECM on it's own is code that sensor signal. You will hurt nothing driving it for awhile to let that engine bay wash out the signal.

inafogg
08-21-2008, 10:32 PM
good advice!! if its driving alright but if you need to....
http://www.autozone.com/shopping/repairGuide.htm?pageId=0900c152800a6962#hd1-1-1
GOOD LUCK u didnt mention 2/4 wh. or engine dont think it will matter

Ramsair
08-21-2008, 11:59 PM
Thanks for the reply and thoughts.

I did the "wash" on Sunday - code threw the next day. Code cleared on Wednesday - Back on Thursday. Arizona heat - so 110 plus driving temp - don't think there is any moisture to speak of in the engine bay.

From what I have read, the knock sensor being defunct will pull 4 to 8 degrees of timing out of the engine and the fuel economy will drop significantly.

It drives like it always has - no loss of power - no hesitation - no knock that I can feel or hear.

4wd -

Thank you

Ramsair
08-22-2008, 05:55 PM
http://arrc.epnet.com/autoapp/CHEVY_CK-PICK_99-07_F/CHEVY_CK-PICK_99-07_CH03_Intake_Manifold.htm#T6

Found the removal process - took way too long to source this online - should make this a sticky.

Chris

j cAT
08-22-2008, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the reply and thoughts.

I did the "wash" on Sunday - code threw the next day. Code cleared on Wednesday - Back on Thursday. Arizona heat - so 110 plus driving temp - don't think there is any moisture to speak of in the engine bay.

From what I have read, the knock sensor being defunct will pull 4 to 8 degrees of timing out of the engine and the fuel economy will drop significantly.

It drives like it always has - no loss of power - no hesitation - no knock that I can feel or hear.

4wd -

Thank you

with this code you will get no ks output or intermittent out put... this is a loss of communication with sensor .. this means no retard will be commanded...what could happen is possible engine detonation...

what is for sure is this will not pass az. emission test..

I have not had to do this but I believe it is not too difficult ..

Ramsair
08-22-2008, 05:59 PM
http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/general-discussion/technical-maintenance/294494-knock-sensor.html

Another helpful link

C

Add your comment to this topic!