Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Please Help ME!!!!

Wakes4Fun
08-21-2008, 10:07 AM
I'm having problems with my sister''s Camry. It is throwing codes for the Type-B tranny sensor and Type-D tranny sensor. It basically free revs to around 3K RPM''s then suddenly engages but jerks alot until it hits about 4500rpms. It does this through all gears except reverse. I doubt the tranny is fried so where exactly are this sensors on the tranny? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW Fluids are fine so I doubt the plates melted together, it shifts throught the gears fine once you get up speed but it really sucks on hills. lol

If anyone could please post a link or picture of where the solenoids are I'd really appreciate it.

Mike Gerber
08-21-2008, 04:01 PM
Since you don't give a year and engine and your profile doesn't show this information, the best advice I can offer is to refer you to the Toyota technical service manuals stickied at the top of this forum. Download your generation's manual and go to the transmission section.

Mike

jdmccright
08-21-2008, 09:56 PM
I'm with Mike...make sure you give us the specifics on your model Camry as there's of them to sift through.

All of the shift solenoids are located inside the tranny fluid pan. They are not cheap to replace.

Tranny fluid contaminated with coolant can make the transmission slip and shift hard. One thing I would check before tearing into the tranny is see if the radiator has an internal leak, causing tranny fluid and coolant to mix. An oily sheen atop the coolant fluid surface would indicate this...check under the radiator cap or drain some into a pan and let it sit for a few minutes. Hope this helps!

Wakes4Fun
08-22-2008, 01:29 PM
Sorry, it's a 1999 Camry with a 4cylinder motor. I just changed solenoids 1 & 2 and it doesn't buck anymore but it still has to rev high before it will actually start moving forward in 1st,2nd, and Drive. I downloaded a manual for it so I now know where to find the solenoids.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Wakes4Fun
08-22-2008, 02:06 PM
BTW Is there any way to check the solenoids once they are out of the car? I'd like to see if there even bad if I start pulling some off the tranny.

jdmccright
08-25-2008, 09:45 AM
All you'd need is the correct energy supply (could be 5V to 12V DC)...I'd think the same FSM stickied at the top would have this info.

As for the slipping, either the clutch pack is worn or the valve body is leaking and not allowing the correct pressures to build and complete the engagement. There is also the possibility that the trouble codes have not been reset yet, resulting in the transmission remaining in the "limp home" mode...I'd welcome input from others to comfirm this possibility.

Add your comment to this topic!