Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

need ideas and/or reassurance PLEASE (no start)

focusedblur
08-20-2008, 01:51 PM
Hello everybody, I'm a newbie here so please excuse me if I posted in the wrong area or anything like that. Well, I have a '91 Nissan Altima GXE...it has been stalling the last couple weeks when I come up to stop lights, I put in a new fuel filter and it helped for a few days, then it started doing it once again but this time I was losing battery power, so I replaced the alternator and it was back on track but still idling rough and stalling sometimes, but it always started right back up. Now today I was driving to work and got a few miles from home and the engine just cut out when I was accelerating up to speed, so I pulled off to the side only to have no start. The engine cranks but no fire. I towed it home and started tearing into the fuel pump, I took the lines off the pump and turned the key to "on" and gas squirted out of the outlet where the line hooks up, but it didnt seem like very high pressure (I don't know what kind of pressure it's supposed to have). So my question is: can a fuel pump be junked but still squirt out a little gas when turned on?
Is there anything else I should look into?
Any help at all would be VERY appreciated, thanks for your time...

nissandoc
08-20-2008, 04:49 PM
sounds more like the distributor than tha fuel pump. take off tha cap and rotor button then pull off the black plastic cover. if oil runs out then you'll need a distributor. also, nissan didnt build an altima in 91'. is this a typo?

focusedblur
08-22-2008, 06:58 PM
Yes '91 was a typo....my car is actually a '93 haha. Well I pulled off the cap (the o-ring for the cap was completely shot)and attempted to take off the rotor but it was hard as hell to pull off...is there some type of trick to this? there was a little bit of semi-dry, dirty oil in the cap and some oil on the bottom flange where the cap screw screws in. is that evidence enough, or do I have to take off the rotor and take a really good look? also jst fro later reference, how do I get the fuel pump out? it doesnt just pull out, the top where the lines are connected pulls out, but the actual pump and strainer or stuck to the tank somehow. I appreciate the help, thanks.

nissandoc
08-22-2008, 07:27 PM
there are tabs on the side that you release, then pull up and forward. when you put it back in, make sure it snaps in place.

sounds like you will need a distributor but i would get the rotor button off first and make sure. no trick, it just pulls off.

focusedblur
08-27-2008, 02:30 PM
Well, I finally got the rotor off of the distributor. It turns out there was a little "trick" that I missed, there was a 5/16" screw that went through the rotor into the distr. shaft. I got the black plastic cover off of the distributor and no oil came out of the distributor, but there was a drop of oil inside the black cover and what seemed to be a really fine mist of oil all inside the cover and distributor. Does this still sound like a faulty distributor? Thank you for the help so far...

coled91
09-03-2008, 07:33 PM
it sounds like it could be a distributor. i had to replace the distributor my 95 altima a little while back, try that and see what happens.

hondahawkster
09-03-2008, 08:17 PM
so what was it , I had the same problem a few weeks ago, I tried to clean the distributor with contact cleaner, but didn't work this time .found one at the junk yard for 25 bucks ,replaced the gasket and hit the road..

focusedblur
09-05-2008, 06:56 AM
I haven't had the chance to work on my car for a while, but as soon as I get it goin I'll post what the problem was. I think I will try the distr. first. Odd thing happened though, I put the fuel pump back together and cranked the engine and the rubber hose that connects to the outlet on top of the pump burst open on the side...WTH?? Is there a possibility that I mixed up the electrical connectors on the bottom side of the pump? just another thing to replace now....

coled91
09-06-2008, 08:49 PM
well just make sure whatever you take apart and do that you put back in the right place and with the right equipment because you could get into some serious trouble if you take stuff apart without knowing where its going back

focusedblur
09-07-2008, 10:55 PM
it was the distributor...thank you all very much for the help!

Add your comment to this topic!