Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

crazy gauges

bloe03se
08-18-2008, 11:08 PM
Hi i need some help

My car seems to start fine but sometimes while its cranking or right after startup my gauges will bouunce around, then itll be fine. When I first popped the hood i seen that my negative battery terminal was covered in crust and milky looking grease junk. I dont know it it was acid from the battery leaking or what, but anyhow I cleaned up the post and replaced the negative terminal. But still its doing it, not every time i start it but just about.

Besides the fact that it idles like a tractor the engine runs good and strong.

I have done some research and heard talk about the body control module but i dont think thats the problem in my case. Another thing that came to mind was the alternator but i dont seem to have any problem cranking the engine over and the battery is never dead.

Any help, or advice would be awesome and very much appreciated.

das2123
08-19-2008, 10:26 AM
Try this for your gauges....
http://dodgeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21328

bloe03se
08-19-2008, 06:49 PM
Thanks das2123

I will definatly check that out. i forgot to mention oin my previous post that my car is a 2003.

Today I also did a guage sweep to reset all the gauges, and that didnt help.

I will pull the cluster out and see if theres any broken solder spots.

bloe03se
08-20-2008, 08:53 PM
I think I got the problem fixed. I started noticing that the baterry was getting weak when I'd go to start the car so I replaced it. so far the gauges haven't been going wacky. But doesnt any1 know why my checkengine light would flash 10 times when the key is in the on position and the car is not running. When I was resetting all my stations on my cd player it caught my eye.

typete02
06-12-2010, 10:57 PM
The solder cracks on the instrument cluster circuit board which causes the guages to act irradically or stop all together. It is pretty easy to fix if you can run a screw driver and solder gun. There is a video on youtube that shows which pins typically cause trouble.

Add your comment to this topic!