99 Prism(corolla) differential

qikpony
08-18-2008, 08:53 PM
Just finished changing my friends transmission and differential fluid on a 1999 prizm 80,000 mile 3 speed auto.I flushed entire trans using the cooler line method. Then I drained the differential,and was surprised that the oil looked and smelled like gear lube. Everything I had read on the internet,Amsoil website, and haynes manual all say Dexron III for trans & diff. The owners manual doesn't specify which fluid, just 1.5 quart capacity,and it just says to purchase the official repair manual for fluid specs. I Called 2 chevy dealers and neither one could give me an answer. I put in DexIII but I'm not sure it is correct. Please help I'm really stumped on this one.

DangerDude
08-19-2008, 11:19 AM
Far is I know .. after reading my shop manual on my 1999 Prizm 3 speed auto. The tranny/differential (transaxle) takes Dexron 3. You did right. I think someone else must have put in standard hypoid oil because they must not have read any specifications first. Another point I've learned about our 3 speed transaxles is the secret hidden fill plug that you have to squeeze your hand to get to. There are two places to fill the transaxle. Make sure you find that fill plug on the back side of the transaxle. Jeez .. the stuff we gotta learn to be our own mechanics! But shops don't do a lot of this stuff either and for what they charge .. they darn sure oughta!
DangerDude

qikpony
08-19-2008, 05:23 PM
DangerDude, is your shop manual the "official" GM one, or is it a Chilton, Haynes, or other manual? I know the fill plug is on the back of the diff, and the drain plug is under. I don't know of any other fill plug. Thanks

DangerDude
08-20-2008, 10:01 AM
The repair manual I have is from HELM. It is "THE" GM shop manual. I paid way too much for it. I find them on E-bay for $30 dolars or so. I paid about $150 for mine brand new, two books worth of information though. Ahh well .. It tells every detail on everything about the car from A to Z! Makes Haynes look like a comic book! When I buy a car I usually keep it for as long as I can. I plan on keeping this Prizm!
Look on some of these Prizm posts and you should find more about the 3 speed auto tranny fill plug location. Thanks for the conversation!
DangerDude

qikpony
08-20-2008, 06:34 PM
Thanks DangerDude. I was hoping that the info you gave me was from the Helm book or another reliable publication, and not Chilton or Haynes. I also purchased the Helm manuals for my vehicles, unfortunately this isn't my car and I didn't truly trust the Haynes manual. For the most part, Haynes & Chilton are ok, but I have found errors in them unlike the Helm manuals. Even at $100+ the Helm is well worth it for it's wealth of accurate information.

Add your comment to this topic!