Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Brake Lights

nyjoeyd
08-18-2008, 06:58 PM
I have a 1998 Tacoma which the brake lights don't work and will not shift out of park. This all happened after replacing the tail light bulbs. Please help!

Flash75
08-19-2008, 07:37 PM
Did you replace the tail light bulbs with original type bulbs? If you installed a non standard type bulb try removing them and see what happens. You didn't by chance short circuit the stoplight circuit when replacing the bulbs? The shifter problem may caused by the non-working stoplight circuit. You need to look at a wiring diagram to see what signal you should have to enable the shifter.

Clifton

nyjoeyd
08-19-2008, 09:57 PM
Hey Clifton,

I just replaced all the bulbs and the stop light switch, still no brake lights. Do you think there is a problem with the shift lock? I found the shift release, so now I can get it out of park.

Thanks, Joe

Flash75
08-20-2008, 05:45 AM
I think the shift lock problem is due to the stop lights not working. The stop light voltage also feeds the shifter relay. Check voltage from the stop light fuse (you did check the fuse?) and follow the circuit back to the lights to locate where you are missing 12 volts.

Clifton

4Wheel
08-26-2008, 07:59 AM
The safety lock on the shiter is controlled by the brake light circuit.
Since it happened after replacing the bulbs you will find a feed problemto that circuit.
Start at the hot side of the fuse and trace it back. Some times the contacts in the fuse holder spread open, even though the fuse is good it still isn't making contact.
Most common cause for the contacts to fail is from the use of a fuse tap that wraps around one of the legs of the fuse, these are used to add a new circuit. But when the tap is removed it leaves a wide contact.

Add your comment to this topic!