Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

clutch engagement

SteveCooke101
08-18-2008, 12:07 AM
Hi there,

I own a 96 Ram 1500 5.2 w/manual transmission. I am having problems engaging first gear. Assumed it is a clutch issue but it is only when engaging first. All other gears, no problems whatsoever. Is this normal when a clutch is worn out? Is there any adjustments that can be done to get a bit more life out of it? ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated. thanks!

HEMIDAZE
08-18-2008, 10:27 AM
Sounds like it needs adjusted. With the motor off, push on the clutch with your hand and it should go down an inch or so before it gets hard to push. If it doesn't look for an adjustment. It could be on the end of the clutch fork that goes through the bell housing. I wish I could tell you where it is but I stopped buying sticks 20 years ago. To stop it from grinding (temporary fix) shift to second before you put it in first. I am assuming that it grinds when you put it in first from a stop, not a downshift. That would be an expensive fix.

wafrederick
08-18-2008, 05:47 PM
It is not adjustable,it is hydraulic using brake fluid.Most of them I seen are hydraulic.Another thing to check is the fluid level in the transmission and it uses special fluid from the dealer only.

Add your comment to this topic!