Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Removing fuel rail when doing the gasket replacements

Cressidaadr
08-17-2008, 09:42 PM
I have heard about two approaches to removing the fuel rail when going into the engine to replace the headgaskets.

1. One seems to pull out each of the injectors and then lift the entire rail up and tie it back out of the way - without disturbing the supply and return fuel line connections.

2. The other way is to disconnect the supply and return fuel line connections but to leave the individual injectors and rail attached to the manifold and lift everything off together. With this method the individual fuel injectors are not disturbed.

Can some of you have replaced the headgaskets comment on which way you think is the one to plan on.

inafogg
08-17-2008, 11:24 PM
i'll vote for #2 but like to no engine/year?? but still would'nt matter

Scrapper
08-17-2008, 11:30 PM
if take one injecter loose or if it starts leaking after your gasket replacement you mise well change all injecters they will leak so be very carful..

534BC
08-18-2008, 12:12 PM
I used method 2 , (carefully cut the new o-ring too) , but later was told that there's 2 quick disconnects over towards the drivers side of vehicle. I'm not sure how they come apart.

534BC
08-18-2008, 12:13 PM
delete

Scrapper
08-18-2008, 12:27 PM
are you still talking about the tube?

rdh2
08-18-2008, 02:33 PM
I have heard about two approaches to removing the fuel rail when going into the engine to replace the headgaskets.

1. One seems to pull out each of the injectors and then lift the entire rail up and tie it back out of the way - without disturbing the supply and return fuel line connections.

2. The other way is to disconnect the supply and return fuel line connections but to leave the individual injectors and rail attached to the manifold and lift everything off together. With this method the individual fuel injectors are not disturbed.

Can some of you have replaced the headgaskets comment on which way you think is the one to plan on.

I just replaced the LIM gaskets this weekend on my '02 Silhouette. Initially, I was going to disconnect the 2 fuel lines and leave the rail intact (method 2). I was able to remove the inlet line, but the return line off the regulator would not move.

Instead of breaking a fuel rail, I removed the rail bolts and pulled the rail and injectors as a unit (method 1). Clean the area around each injector with compressed air prior to pulling. After the injectors are removed and the LIM on the bench, clean the injector holes to prevent leakge from o-ring damage. Make sure to replace at least the lower injector o-rings. A set of lower o-rings is about $12 and upper o-rings are $15. That's cheap insurance.

Scrapper
08-18-2008, 09:10 PM
if take one injecter loose or if it starts leaking after your gasket replacement you mise well change all injecters they will leak so be very carful..so did you have to change injecter seals because they leaked?

inafogg
08-18-2008, 11:28 PM
reads the entire post

Scrapper
08-18-2008, 11:36 PM
i did now whats your point? you all like to cause trouble don't you?

spytearbite
08-18-2008, 11:37 PM
I could see blow-by if an injector o-ring was no longer supple is look at the rail leaks.
If there are no rail o-ring leaks is you going to replace the crank seal because you are removing the manifold?

I choose #2 as the fastest point of if it ain't broke? I have insurance I did not need to go there and make a mess of broken parts that where basically not needed unless you are anal retentive..... Then buy all means, rebuild the whole car. (just having fun on the tech approach is keep choosing your problems opening up a new thread on how to repair a fuel rail). Me Bad! :smokin:

Scrapper
08-18-2008, 11:43 PM
yah i just come in from back deck from doing the same thing.so i'm bad..

inafogg
08-19-2008, 12:31 PM
i did now whats your point? you all like to cause trouble don't you?
he asked for an opinion of the best way to remove injector assembly(4 gasket replacement!!!!!!)
he doesnt mention a leak so if you think removing the injectors verses just disconnecting 2 fuel lines because they may leak some where down the road
is IMO rediculus
as for causing trouble WTF are you talking about

Scrapper
08-19-2008, 07:34 PM
i just told him that to be carful he gets down the road and it leaks who's he going to blame?

534BC
08-25-2008, 12:35 PM
Where can I pinch off the return line (where it is hose and not hard plastic) ?

Nevermind)

Add your comment to this topic!