Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Dehydrator necessary (mr. dry booth)?

zax13
08-17-2008, 11:12 AM
Sorry if this has been ask before. Im just curious if its necessary to have a dehydrator and use it after every spray? What does it do besides speeding up paint curing time. I live in singapore where temp is about 30-33 degrees c, so is it required to have one?

stevenoble
08-17-2008, 02:01 PM
Sorry if this has been ask before. Im just curious if its necessary to have a dehydrator and use it after every spray? What does it do besides speeding up paint curing time. I live in singapore where temp is about 30-33 degrees c, so is it required to have one?

I have actually just purchased a Mr Dry Booth and have been using it all this week on my most recent build.I must say I am impressed by it to be honest.I put a thermometer inside and the temperature is about 40-45 degrees C.I have used it to dry putty, primer, color coats and clear coats.I wouldn't say it is an absolute must to have one but it does help to speed up drying time and keep the parts dust free whilst they are drying.It does help a little containing the smell of the paint as well whilst the parts are drying.
Being colder in the UK during the winter months I dare say I will see the benefit of using it, but if you live in a warm part of the world anyway, you could probably let the painted parts air dry and this would be sufficient.

CFarias
08-17-2008, 02:49 PM
Food dehydrators are very handy to have even in warm climates. Where I live it easily gets to 38 degC (100 degF), but my dehydrator can warm up to 68 degC (155 degF) so even on hot days it still if better to use the dehydrator. [ --- However, try to keep the temperature below 60 degC (140 degF) as higher temperature will begin to soften plastic. --- ]

Remember that even if the typical day in Singapore is high I'm sure the nights are cooler and, trying to dry paint during the rainy (high humidity) season my be problematic. The dehydrator creates a constant "weather pattern" so your models can dry no matter what the weather is like outside.

And, as stevenoble has said, it does help reduce the amount of dust that may fall on the model while it dries.

I would highly recommend getting the dehydrator.

klutz_100
08-17-2008, 03:18 PM
Not necessary but a bloody good idea if you build several models a year and want to maximise your bench time by speeding things up.

Compare costs and if the Mr. Dry Booth is much more expensive than a good 'ol dried fruit dehydrator at your local electrical goods store, go for the fruit maker :) I'm sure that the mr dry booth is good but I am also guessing that you are paying an unnecessary premium because it's "designed for modelling" (yeah right! ;) :evillol:)

wouter1981
08-17-2008, 04:13 PM
a food dehydrator is a verry good idea if you build on a high tempo. If you only do a few models in a year... it's not THAT necesary, but there are worse things to spend money on. And folow Klutz's Idea: a fruit dehydrator is exactly the same as a mr. Dry booth, but just cheaper.

Adam Baker
08-18-2008, 06:26 PM
Fwiw, you really dont want your dehydrator getting much warmer then about 120°F/49°C. Much warmer than that, and you run the risk of having the plastic melt or get soft on ya. I have a dehydrator, and dont generally run it much about 105°F/40°C.

Add your comment to this topic!