Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1985 Ford E150 backup light switch location??

bobski55
08-16-2008, 08:51 PM
Hi: Can anyone help me locate the whereabouts of the backup/reverse light switch. Is it in the steering column or at the Tranny. I put the gear shifter in reverse and no lights, this has been happening for some time as before I used to wiggle the shifter for the lights to come on , and now I can't get the lights to come on.

Thanks

rhandwor
08-18-2008, 02:02 PM
Do you have automatic or standard shift. You can call Ford parts and get a price. They will also tell you where its located and let you look at the microfilm with the exact location.If its in the neutral safety switch its on the side of the transmission near the shift linkage.

rhandwor
08-18-2008, 02:19 PM
Go to this location and search for picture.
http://www2.partstrain.com/ It threads in with a two pronged plug appx. a one inch socket.+
As the threads have thread paste I would assume on the transmission. They look the same for automatic and standard.
Note you have to enter information on vehicle. Search back light switch.

bobski55
08-18-2008, 10:56 PM
Thanks for your reply rhandwor. I have an automatic transmission, and I will phone a Ford dealer tomorrow to try and get this information. I have been to the Rockauto website to see what this switch looks like and for an automatic tranny it doesn't have a bracket attached to the switch. Looked around the tranny and only found the neutral safety switch, so I suspect that the switch is in the steering column, possibly under the steering wheel?

Thanks again

rhandwor
08-19-2008, 08:25 AM
Let us know what you find as other people might be interested.

rhandwor
08-19-2008, 03:07 PM
I had a 1984 AOD factory manual the back light switch sits above the shift linkage on a ledge about 4 inchs above the transmission pan.

bobski55
08-20-2008, 09:17 AM
you're right Rhandwor. Thanks, it's actually the neutral safety switch/ back-up light switch all in one , located on top of the tranny above the shift linkage.It has 4 terminals on the top...2 for the neutral safety switch ....and 2 for the back-up lights, which I checked out and was not making any contact. I was looking under back-up light switch @ rockauto.com all this time when I should have looked under the neutral safety switch.

Thanks again Rhandwor

Add your comment to this topic!