Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1997 grand am no start po1629

automech01
08-15-2008, 09:09 PM
i have a 1997 ga with a 2.4 car starts then stalls got a code 1629 changed the key cylinder and housing and still the same thing starts and stalls i did a relearn but the theft light does not turn off it just stays on solid

xeroinfinity
08-16-2008, 12:44 PM
p1629 - Theft Deterrent Crank Signal Malfunction (1997-98 2.2L, 2.4L, 3.1L & 3.8L)

Did you do the security relearn like this;
1. Attempt to start the car by turning the key to the Start/Run Position.
2. Observe that the vehicle fails to start and that the security light is illuminated.
3. Release key to the 'ON/Accessory' Position. (DO NOT turn key to the 'off' position.)
4. Allow the vehicle to sit with the key in the 'ON/Accessory' Position for no less than 11 minutes.
5. Turn key to off position and allow the vehicle to remain in the 'OFF' position for no less than 30 seconds.
6. Repeat #1 - #5 for 3 cycles.
7. On 4th attempt, car should start.

Also if you have been cranking on it excessivly you can burn out your ignition switch.
Did you replace the whole switch, not just the lock cylinder ??

Have you replaced anithing else recently ?

Also on the p1629, here are some things that can cause this DTC and should be checked.
- Loose terminal connection. Inspect the harness connectors for backed out terminals, improper mating, broken locks, improperly formed or damaged terminals, and faulty terminal to wire connection. Refer to Wiring diagram for diagnosis and repair.
- Damaged harness. Inspect the wiring harness for damage. If the harness inspection does not reveal a problem, observe the display on the scan tool while moving connectors and wiring harnesses related to the sensor. A change in the scan tool display may indicate the location of the fault. Refer to Wiring daigram for diagnosis and repair.
- Inspect the PCM and the engine grounds for clean and secure connections

automech01
08-18-2008, 09:31 AM
will not take a relearn

automech01
08-18-2008, 02:38 PM
changed both of them. the theft lamp just flashes a few times and then it stays sold. one more thing the air bag module is bad will that keep it from starting

xeroinfinity
08-18-2008, 09:48 PM
A bad air bag module very well could give you problems, though I do not think it would give you security issues.

Bottom line is the crank position sensor dtc, thats most likly whats causing the security light, bad wires, bad sensor or both. :dunno:

If the security lights flashing, then it'll need to goto a stealershop to have them do the relearn with thier scann tool and or test your PCM and the security system and the crank sensor.

Good Luck !

automech01
08-19-2008, 06:57 PM
replaced the cluster with a good used one started right up thank's for all of the great advice.

xeroinfinity
08-20-2008, 01:58 PM
Glad to hear !

The 95-98 ICP's were prone to several problems.

kkuehn1
01-26-2011, 02:26 PM
i replaced the fuel pump have had problems ever since sometimes starts sometime dont it will start with remote start looking for help on resetting code #1629

Add your comment to this topic!