Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 lumina transmission fluid black

mcfitz2
08-15-2008, 08:12 PM
Hey, I just took my car in to get the turn signal switch replaced, and while it was there, my mechanic did a check up. Apparently, the transmission fluid is black. He said that it was burnt and that the transmission needed to be flushed and have the filter replaced. The estimate he gave me was for $170. Several of my family members say that this would be an easy diy job. Is this really something someone with little car experience could do? The hardest thing I've ever done was brakes. Either way, does anyone have a link to a guide on how to do this properly? If I screw up the transmission, I'll have to buy a new car.

Forscythe87
08-15-2008, 08:22 PM
I am only repeating what 3 separate mechanics and many on other forums have told me.

Never EVER flush the transmission on an older car like this, especially if its high mileage.

A search on here will show you why :).

A simple drop of the pan and filter replacement should do. Its easy to do (I did it myself). If its black there's a possibility damage has already been done. So do it asap!

It will cost you $20 for a filter and about $35-50 in ATF. Just make sure you use the right stuff Dexron III or IV.

If you want detailed instructions with pictures on how to do it, drop me a pm.

Add your comment to this topic!