Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2004 Grand Am - Anti theft problem?

bewildered1
08-15-2008, 08:40 AM
Grandson went out to start car and starter would not turn over. Starter ok-checked it out. Could turn over starter by jumpering starter relay contacts in power distribution box. Changed PCM. Did not help. Cannot find service manual at auto stores, so have limited info (schematic wise) from Alldatadiy. That is a very difficult and limited site to use, or else I need training. Back to the Pontiac. Wanted to by-pass the computer from the starter, but limited success.. Any help appreciated. :)

jackpot
08-15-2008, 10:01 AM
most likely an issues with the pass-lock feature, go to *link removed by moderator** and search for the pass lock reset procedure

nessam
08-18-2008, 04:23 PM
I have had this problem in a 2000 and a 2002 Grand Am. There was a problem with the anti theft device in the computer. I wish I could tell you how to fix it but the computer problems always have to go to the dealer with me. It cost me about $500 to have the computer replaced.

xeroinfinity
08-18-2008, 10:08 PM
Welcome to AF bewildered1 !!

This may not be a security issue, is the security light on or flashing ??

Also jumping anything in the fuse box isnt recomended at all ! You very well could have toasted the PCM or the starter/alternator. :eek:

Thier are wire diagrams for the 99-03-ish right here(and I have access to other years), 98% of these diagrams are the same for the 2004-05. :thumbsup: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=2148

Also double check the power and grounds in the starting and charging system make sure they are clean and tight.

You can try a security relearn, but I dont think it'll make a difference.
Security relearn procedure:

1) Attempt to start the car by turning the key to the Start/Run Position.
2) Observe that the vehicle fails to start and that the security light is illuminated.
3) Release key to the 'ON/Accessory' Position. (DO NOT turn key to the 'off' position.)
4) Allow the vehicle to sit with the key in the 'ON/Accessory' Position for no less than 11 minutes.
5) Turn key to off position and allow the vehicle to remain in the 'OFF' position for no less than 30 seconds.
6) Repeat #1 - #5 for 3 cycles.
7) On 4th attempt, car should start.

NOTE : Since this is a fairly long procedure, I would limit all electrical sources, such as disconnecting headlights, to prevent discharge of battery.

NOTE 2 : It is SAFE to wait LONGER than the allotted time, but it is not safe to wait less time. I.e. 12 minutes instead of 11 minutes should be safe; however, waiting 10 minutes instead of 11 minutes is not safe.

Properly executed, this procedure should take approximately 35 minutes to complete

Hope that helps!

Add your comment to this topic!