Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 Intrepid Cooling trouble

Flyingwhitey
08-15-2008, 06:04 AM
So I'm driving along and I notice my car is steaming, so I pull over and shut it off, only to see that a torrent of coolant rushes out. So I let it sit, put some water in it for a quick fix to get it back home. Once home I take the radiator out and get it serviced to find that the tank has cracked. So I replace the radiator. After I get that in, the car still overheats. The fans don't seem to ever turn on. I get heat from the vents, but oddly enough. I've poured around 5 jugs of anti freeze in and it still won't fill up. I've check the oil dipstick for water, assuming a head gasket was the problem. But nothing. So, fans won't turn on and I have a really thirsty coolant tank. Any suggestions?

tempfixit
08-15-2008, 06:26 PM
How hot was the engine when you put the water in? Even if you don't see water in the oil doesn't necessarily mean the head gasket is ok. Do you see white smoke coming out of the exhaust? Coolant could be leaking into a clyinder and being burned as it runs. Doulble check for any other leaks, amd check your relays for the coolant fans. When you turn on the A/C do the fans come on?

AWP9521
08-16-2008, 08:34 PM
I'd have to agree, if you seriously poured 5 jugs of water in the bottle it has to be going somewhere since the system only holds about 12-14 quarts.

Add your comment to this topic!