Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 cherokee ax-15 compatibility question.

knelleken
08-13-2008, 11:30 PM
Hi,

I have a 93 cherokee sport 4x4. the transmission has been giving me problems for the past year or so. it has been gitting hard to get into gear from a stop and has minor grab issues. i took out the transmission hoping to find worn clutch componants, I found none. if i could guess, im thinking bearings, but thats a guess. i am at the point of buying a junk yard trans. because i dont know much about overhauling transmissions. my question is, junkyards state that i need a transmission out of a 92-93 only. i am awair of the external slave cylinder on later years, but other then that i dont see why i cant use other year models. can i use a 94,95,or 96 transmission on my 93? if so or if not ,why, what do i need to do.please help.
Thanks,Ryan

knelleken
08-22-2008, 11:29 PM
not a soul hu. oh well, i have decided to fix the one i have. its in pieces right now and i think its gunna be ok. i have begun replacing the bearings and have decided to replace the sincros sense i have gone this far. the rebuild kit with sincros was only 155.00 so thats gunna save me some cash in the long run anyway. only thing that has made me a little nervous is the shift rods,balls,pins,springs.

just curios, does any one get good discounts with rustys lift kits in the northwest? i want to order a lift kit but dont want to pay retail. i get rubicon express discounts, but its still gunna be over 700 for a good 4.5in w shocks.

MagicRat
08-23-2008, 08:08 AM
Sorry I missed seeing this thread earlier.
The initial symptoms sound like a bad clutch master or slave cylinder, or possibly a bent clutch fork. Can you recall if it went into first gear smoothly if the engine was switched off??

Anyways, if it's in pieces, your rebuild sounds like a fine idea. IMO replace the throwout bearing and the slave cylinder while you are at it. Also take a very good look at the fork and replace it if it looks in the least uncertain.

Add your comment to this topic!