1997 Taurus Draining, flushing and Refilling radiator

sixseas
08-13-2008, 05:13 PM
Hi, my neighbor has a 1997 Taurus 3.0L V6. She asked me to check the fluid level in the radiator. The reservoir had rust colored antifreeze or water so decided to flush the system for her. I cant find any ports or valves to drain and refill it. Does anyone know how I can drain, flush, and refill the Taurus with fresh anti freeze. Thanks for any tips.

CrapaTaurusWrecks
08-14-2008, 06:36 PM
The radiator drain plug is located at the lower left (drivers side) corner of the radiator. If you're doing a complete flush the block plugs are located one to two inches above the oil pan rail. There is one on each side of the block.
When everything is flushed and drain plugs closed you add the coolant to the expansion tank. Make sure you run the engine long enough for the thermostat to open then top off the expasion tank. Don't forget to check for leaks.

TaurusGLenn

sixseas
08-18-2008, 10:30 PM
Thanks, I took a look at the Taurus again. How do I get access to lower part of the radiator on this model?

GPFred
08-20-2008, 01:24 PM
I have 98 Taurus and I had to remove the plastic bottom engine cover. I believe the sheet metal screws are a 5/16th head that are used to attach the cover to the bumper cover. Then you can clearly see the radiator drain petcock on the river's side of the radiator. I had to use a pari of pliers to break it loose. Granted that mine is 98, the 97 should not be any different. Good luck.

sixseas
08-20-2008, 10:23 PM
Thanks, I wondered about that but wasnt sure should be good to go in after the petcock.

sixseas
08-30-2008, 02:40 PM
Got it now she thinks Im a hero guy, Thanks again

Add your comment to this topic!