cutoff/kill switch

87BoxClassic
08-13-2008, 02:46 PM
where can i purchase one online, or can i buy at a local auto parts store and are they easy to install.

MagicRat
08-13-2008, 02:56 PM
Such a switch is super - easy to install.

Auto parts stores have a variety of 12 volt rocker or toggle switches, some are even illuminated. Go for at least a 10 amp rated switch.

You can hide a switch somewhere on your vehicle, either under the dash or under the hood, if you wish to prevent theft of the car.

If your car has an electric fuel pump, I would suggest installing the switch in-line with the positive wire going to the fuel pump.

Or you can install it in-line with the positive wire going to the ignition coil (on the distributor (presuming your car has one).

Finally, on many older HEI equipped cars, you can run a wire from the TACH terminal to the switch (non - illuminated in this case) and then to the chassis ground. However, in this set up, the switch must be 'off' in order for the engine to run.
(You can use this set up with any older (non HEI) engine as well, by running a wire from the negative terminal on the ignition coil)

marksatterfield
08-13-2008, 02:58 PM
A switch is a switch is a switch. You can buy one at Wal-Mart or any local parts or hardware store.

Just out of curiosity, are you looking for a high current cutoff (battery switch) or ignition switch? Also, for what application?

a) Security?
b) As replacement for ignition switch?

--Mark

http://www.marksatterfield.com

87BoxClassic
08-13-2008, 03:10 PM
to prevent theft, i did buy a steel steering collum collar. just trying to make it harder to take.

MagicRat
08-13-2008, 04:32 PM
One more thing............... if you do install a hidden switch............. do not tell anyone about! Really, tell no one, not your folks, not your best friend etc. It only works if it stays hidden.
I'm sure no one you know would boost your wheels, but for your peace of mind you want to be sure nobody you know would spread the word about the switch because you never know what bad guy may be listening.

(Trust me on this, I learned about it the hard way.)

bhw33191
08-13-2008, 05:14 PM
to prevent theft, i did buy a steel steering collum collar. just trying to make it harder to take.

Yeah i installed a steel collar on mine too. My dad's been a locksmith his whole life and said that these cars are the easiest to break into. It really scares me because my car ALMOST got stolen before. Luckily it wasn't the daily driver and sat in the driveway so long that the battery died so the robbers ran away. Its wierd thinking that it coulda been gone forever!

silicon212
08-13-2008, 11:36 PM
A switch is a switch is a switch. You can buy one at Wal-Mart or any local parts or hardware store.

Just out of curiosity, are you looking for a high current cutoff (battery switch) or ignition switch? Also, for what application?

a) Security?
b) As replacement for ignition switch?

--Mark

http://www.marksatterfield.com

Switches are not the same. Get a high quality switch - not something that's going to break soon and strand you. Get a switch from a place that sells electronic components and as stated above, rated for a minimum 10 amps. The cheap Autozone/Walmart switches will fail and leave you roadside.

87BoxClassic
08-14-2008, 09:54 AM
what do i wire the switch to? i have an 87 caprice v8 5.0 305.

Add your comment to this topic!