Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

hvlp needle question

regg187
08-12-2008, 10:15 PM
Hello All,

have been a professional painter since 1995, mainly construction and airless sprayers but also HVLP turbines systems and hvlp conversion guns and old school bink's No7.
I have a question about needle size in an hvlp conver gun. I have an ASTRO Pnuematic fullsize grav feed gun. the original they sold before the QUANTUM. I have a 1.5 and a 1.9 needle and caps. I would like to know if I need a 1.3 for spraying auto finish. Here is my Question If I have the 1.5 needle and it atomizes paint well , lets say for simplicity I spray the same paint( viscosity) with the 1.9, now I know more material will come out and it won't atomizes as well, but if I were to set the material feed setting to where the needle couldn't move back as far so the same amount came out as with the 1.5 , shouldn't I have the same atomization as I did with the 1.5? If I am wrong can some one explain this to me? So If I restricted the 1.5 a little shouldn't It work the same as a 1.3 given the same paint viscosity?

this has bugged me for a little while. I know the need for a bigger needle to use with heavier bodied material , but auto paint viscosity seems generally similar within product types. AE's, Urethanes, etc. thank you in advance for your answer's Regg

BoricuaPaintFan23
11-20-2009, 04:18 PM
Hello All,

have been a professional painter since 1995, mainly construction and airless sprayers but also HVLP turbines systems and hvlp conversion guns and old school bink's No7.
I have a question about needle size in an hvlp conver gun. I have an ASTRO Pnuematic fullsize grav feed gun. the original they sold before the QUANTUM. I have a 1.5 and a 1.9 needle and caps. I would like to know if I need a 1.3 for spraying auto finish. Here is my Question If I have the 1.5 needle and it atomizes paint well , lets say for simplicity I spray the same paint( viscosity) with the 1.9, now I know more material will come out and it won't atomizes as well, but if I were to set the material feed setting to where the needle couldn't move back as far so the same amount came out as with the 1.5 , shouldn't I have the same atomization as I did with the 1.5? If I am wrong can some one explain this to me? So If I restricted the 1.5 a little shouldn't It work the same as a 1.3 given the same paint viscosity?

this has bugged me for a little while. I know the need for a bigger needle to use with heavier bodied material , but auto paint viscosity seems generally similar within product types. AE's, Urethanes, etc. thank you in advance for your answer's Regg

Regg>To some extent this is a matter of personal opinion. I used to paint with a 1.5 with urethane finishes. Most paint manufacturers will recommend that you use a 1.3 with their urethane products but I have not noticed a substantial difference between the atomization of the 2. You will apply more product with the larger sizes will will achieve coverage faster and will result in a potentially more difficult time with metallic control but the overall atomizations should be similar. I would think your 1.9 is simply out of hte question.

My gat bangs while you're playing Max Payne on XBox. :nono:

Add your comment to this topic!