Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'99 Z24 alternator fried. Need helpful instructions on how to replace it.

Fixxxer1
08-12-2008, 06:13 PM
My '99 5 speed chevy Z24 (2.4 litre) recently died on me. I bought a new battery in May, so I figure it's my alternator that's pooched. Wondering if anyone knows the right kind of alternator to buy and has any insight as to how easy / hard it is to replace. And could possibly give me a step-by-step walk through as this is my first time replacing an alternator.

J-Ri
08-13-2008, 03:12 PM
My '99 5 speed chevy Z24 (2.4 litre) recently died on me. I bought a new battery in May, so I figure it's my alternator that's pooched. Wondering if anyone knows the right kind of alternator to buy and has any insight as to how easy / hard it is to replace. And could possibly give me a step-by-step walk through as this is my first time replacing an alternator.

Before you go throwing parts at it, check the charging voltage. It should have 13.5v minimum. If it's lower, turn on the headlights, computer controlled alternators may not charge unless there is a load somewhere.

If it is the alternator that's bad, it's very easy to replace on these. Just disconnect the battery, remove the belt (replace now if it's cracking), remove both electrical connectors, remove the bolts holding the alternator on the engine, and you're half way there. Installation is the reverse of removal.

I will only use Bosch alternators.

muff34
08-13-2008, 04:13 PM
Another alternative is to have your own alt rebuilt(if you don`t mind the down time). Likely half the price of new or remanufactured alt.

J-Ri
08-14-2008, 03:10 PM
That's true, but new Bosch units have a lifetime waranty (reman is 2 years), unlike some part store-brands that have the same waranty, I have never seen one fail (new or reman) unless there was a 00-guage wire going to the amp :rolleyes:

I personally prefer to not do that same job twice... but some people prefer to save a few bucks initially... and then spend the same amount again in a few years. In many cases a new one is not much more than having it rebuilt, and in some cases rebuilding it is actually more expensive.

muff34
08-14-2008, 11:35 PM
That's true, but new Bosch units have a lifetime waranty (reman is 2 years), unlike some part store-brands that have the same waranty, I have never seen one fail (new or reman) unless there was a 00-guage wire going to the amp :rolleyes:

I personally prefer to not do that same job twice... but some people prefer to save a few bucks initially... and then spend the same amount again in a few years. In many cases a new one is not much more than having it rebuilt, and in some cases rebuilding it is actually more expensive. I won`t dispute what you are saying but from my personal experience I had an alt rebuilt in 2000 the car lasted another 5 years before I parked it and the alt was still good. 80 bucks versus 200 plus. Maybe I lucked out and found a reputable auto electric rebuilder . Just my:2cents:

Classicrocjunkie
08-14-2008, 11:58 PM
I have yet to have an alternator go bad on any of my cars... One is almost 10 years old ( but the motor has been removed and sent to jersey with 59K on the clock), and the eco one is still strong.

However, I un-installed and re-installed that alternator in the 2200 several times I could do it in my sleep.

As far as what brands to go with, anything with a lifetime warranty is good.

Add your comment to this topic!