Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Hub assembly 99 Ram 1500 4X4 318

90sabre
08-12-2008, 12:52 PM
So i found out today that I need to replace the driver side front wheel bearing, however it seems that this must be purchased as an entire hub assembly. First of all, is this true? And if this is the case, looking online I found two different prices, one for a 2 wheel ABS and one with a four wheel ABS system. How do I know which one I have? I know for sure I have ABS in the front. Thanks in advance!

Leo
99 Ram SLT 4X4 318

angus10
08-12-2008, 04:42 PM
How do you know for sure you have front abs? It is rare for a 99 to have front abs! They mostly came with only rear abs. The easy way to be sure is to see if you have a wire going into the back of the hub assembly. And BTW , yes it does come as an assembly.

90sabre
08-13-2008, 08:31 AM
How do you know for sure you have front abs? It is rare for a 99 to have front abs! They mostly came with only rear abs. The easy way to be sure is to see if you have a wire going into the back of the hub assembly. And BTW , yes it does come as an assembly.

Thanks for the quick reply! I checked and didn't see any wire going to the hub. I guess I just assumed the "standard ABS" was in the front. It's about $100 cheaper for a non 4 wheel ABS hub assembly, so that's one good thing about it!
Any tips on the removal/installation? Thanks again!

Leo

angus10
08-13-2008, 04:52 PM
The three bolts holding it on are like 14 or 18 mm I forget which,12 point socket. ANd the hub might be a bear too get out of the spindle. And don't let the axle slide outward. Other than that it's pretty easy really. But I've done it alot.

90sabre
08-13-2008, 07:11 PM
The three bolts holding it on are like 14 or 18 mm I forget which,12 point socket. ANd the hub might be a bear too get out of the spindle. And don't let the axle slide outward. Other than that it's pretty easy really. But I've done it alot.

Thanks again for all your help, I appreciate it! Hope to get to it this weekend...

Leo

Add your comment to this topic!