Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Towing with a minivan?

minivanlove
08-12-2008, 12:09 PM
We are thinking about using our Dodge Grand Caravan to pull a 2-horse tagalong trailer w/1 horse in it about 1000lb live weight. Has anybody out there done this or have advice about it?

MagicRat
08-13-2008, 04:41 PM
You should be fine so long as your van is equipped properly.
These vans are good for about 2000 lb stock and up to 3800 lb with the factory tow package.

This package is not essential; you can equip the van to match these specs.

Get the biggest hitch you can. I figure a trailer like yours probably weighs 1000 lbs on its own. Add another 1000 lbs for the beast and that's an easy 2000 lbs, obviously
However, a 2000 lb Class II trailer is not ideal. You should get at least a Class III 3500 lb hitch with a receiver (the square thing that fits into the hitch.)

A decent hitch place could install and set up the wiring too.
If the horse trailer has it's own brakes , then make sure they work properly and you have a brake controller. This is probably not essential for a 2000 lb trailer but will improve safety substantially.

Also, you must install an auxilary transmission cooler - again, get the biggest one that will fit. Do not skimp here; the number one cause for transmission failures is excessive heat.

Finally, consider getting air shocks or air booster springs on the back to better cope with the load, especially if the trailer has lots of tongue weight.

jdmccright
08-19-2008, 11:48 AM
The year and mileage of the minivan helps us alot in answering these questions since newer ones tend to get stronger and more powerful as the model line is improved upon.

If you don't have the original sticker or order sheet, you should be able to call your dealer with your VIN number and they can look up the factory loadout that will tell you if it was ordered with the towing package option...in all practicality, if it came from the factory with a tow hitch, it was ordered with the complete tow package, but never hurts to be sure.

In some states (like mine), any trailer over 1000 lbs must have it's own brake system. I've been investigating horse trailers as well...a two-horse trailer with just one horse (I presume an actual size horse, not pony) and all your feed, tack, saddle, etc., will easily push you over 2000 lbs total trailer weight. Not to mention you'll be hauling the family in the van, thus pushing the limit on your van's GVWR. So I'll go with MagicRat's advice and get it properly equipped.

Tranny cooler
Auxiliary fan
Brake controller
Air shocks or helper springs
Extender rear view mirrors

Also, have the van's fluids changed (especially the transmission fluid in older vans since they've had poor reliability), brake check, alignment, and remove any weight you don't need to carry. Hope this helps!

Add your comment to this topic!