Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

help idle problem 99' si

cmaybz
08-11-2008, 11:20 PM
GA_googleFillSlot("Forums_ROS_300x250_noad");var tcdacmd="sa=a;sz=3;ad";
My 99 honda civic si idles up and down while its parked. After I have driven it a while, while i am at a stop light it starts idle up and down so fast it sounds like its cutting out. When I try to slowly take off it falls on its face!!! If I floor it, its fine.... I just recently used b&g intake and throttle body cleaner and about 100 miles later this problem started somebody posted a similar question and there was no answer please help!

johnb16a2
08-12-2008, 02:53 PM
Welcome. :smile:

Is your check engine light on? Does your check engine light work? It might be one of the oxygen sensors. My old car did this once and my oxygen sensor was bad. If your check engine light is off it might be your idle air control motor might be dirty or defective. Bring your car to Autozone or comparible place and they may be able to scan the computer for fault codes. Don't overlook the basics, could also be a cracked vacuum hose or bad connection. Keep us posted. GL

cmaybz
08-12-2008, 11:25 PM
the chk engin light did come on the code was p0505 idle air controll valve, i took the valve off and cleaned it out with break parts cleaner, the screen was a little cloged and a bunch of crap did come out. i need to take it back to advanced auto and rest set the ecu tommrow and hopefully that fixes the problem.

johnb16a2
08-13-2008, 02:41 PM
the chk engin light did come on the code was p0505 idle air controll valve, i took the valve off and cleaned it out with break parts cleaner, the screen was a little cloged and a bunch of crap did come out. i need to take it back to advanced auto and rest set the ecu tommrow and hopefully that fixes the problem.

Cool, sounds like you're on the right track. If the valve is bad and you don't want to spend a few hundred for a new one you can use idle valves from the HX or EX with the manual transmission, make sure the place has a return policy if the used valve is also bad. Keep us posted. GL

Add your comment to this topic!