Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2002 Venture Fire, FD looking for help

ge0rg1a107
08-11-2008, 09:08 PM
Recently our department was activated for a vehicle fire, on arrival the van was fully involved (long delay due to unattended vehicle and homeowner notified by vans horn blowing).

An investigation was initiated because the homeowner stated the electric sliding door on the passanger side was shut the prior evening, and possibly locked. Initial fire crews found the door completely open.

The fire is believed to have started in the rear of the vehicle because there is no carpets or synthetic material left, aluminum was reduced to liquid and re-formed shapes. The rear tires were burnt off and the rims were actually burnt beyond recognition. The front seemed to have less significant damage, although the fire did stop at the engine compartment, and did not burn the front bumper. It did not appear to have had extensive visable shorts on the exposed wires that are typically seen in a vehicle fire caused by electrical problems. Glass from sides and rear windows were also on TOP of the vans roof.

Preliminary findings have left no official cause, however we have doubts about possible arson because of the glass on the roof and the electric sliding door being open on arrival. Would the electrical short that caused the horn to blow constantly also have caused the electric door to open?

Taking any ideas here, or if anyones experience similar findings

Check out pictures on our website www.perthfire.com (http://www.perthfire.com)

Thanks for taking the time to read this thread.

Chris

'97ventureowner
08-13-2008, 01:39 AM
Does not surprise me if it is found that the fire had something to do with the power sliding door.I had trouble with mine opening without warning, and closing it (and locking the van) only to come back at a later time to find it completely open. I've seen this occur to other GM U body vans as well. I'll bet if you ask a service manage at your local dealership about this issue, they will be quick to deny any problems or any reports of something like this happening.

phipps
08-13-2008, 04:44 PM
Our 2001 Venture will randomly blow the horn while driving down the road. My wife has also reported the doors locking and unlocking by themselves.

ge0rg1a107
08-13-2008, 05:35 PM
Does not surprise me if it is found that the fire had something to do with the power sliding door.I had trouble with mine opening without warning, and closing it (and locking the van) only to come back at a later time to find it completely open. I've seen this occur to other GM U body vans as well. I'll bet if you ask a service manage at your local dealership about this issue, they will be quick to deny any problems or any reports of something like this happening.

Do you think it is possible, or did you encounter the door remaining open, and the motor kept running, and possibly could have over heated and started a fire?

dewaynep
08-14-2008, 02:11 PM
I would think at some point prior to the fire the fuse would have blown...

Add your comment to this topic!