2001 Impala LS Lound noise under hood, sounds like a belt or the fan

henktank
08-10-2008, 03:35 AM
2001 Impala, 68k miles. I've experienced so far the curse of the passlock/security light, catalytic converter, steering column clunk, power steering noise when power steering fluid was full, more recently service traction soon light but that went away. This new issue has been going on forever and I can't seem to figure it out, any help would be appreciated.

It sounds like a screeching belt. Really loud and annoying. It doesn't happen when i first start up the car, only when I've been driving for a some time, but I think it has to do with the Temperature, when it hits the middle on the gauge is usually when it starts, It makes me think its the fans. I bought that belt spray at auto zone and sprayed both sides of the belt to rule it out and the noise is still there. If I drive shut off the car and drive it about an hour later it's usually there, i can here it in drive thru's, when i'm stopped and it's so loud that it makes my car seem like it's a piece of junk. Please give me ideas on what to do or to try, I'll do it, thank you all.

sarotara
08-10-2008, 11:00 AM
My guess, as was yours, would be that it's one of the radiator fans.

jd-autotech
08-10-2008, 11:27 AM
how about pullies try hitting each pulley with something like pb blaster while its doing it if its a for example the alternator pulley bearing and you spray it and it goes away then you know you need an alternator. hope that helps or unplug the fan when its doing it carefully of corse

sarotara
08-10-2008, 11:34 AM
how about pullies try hitting each pulley with something like pb blaster while its doing it if its a for example the alternator pulley bearing and you spray it and it goes away then you know you need an alternator. hope that helps or unplug the fan when its doing it carefully of corse

I'm not saying you're wrong about the pulleys, but on an older car I had the bearings on the idler pulley were going bad and the car would make a squeaking noise right after starting the engine. The noise would go away after a few minutes of driving. He mentions that the noise starts when the coolant temperature gets to a certain point, which would most likely mean that it's one of the radiator fan bearings.

jd-autotech
08-10-2008, 11:42 AM
yeah but its a simple test and easy to over look and even easier to check so i would like to see him cover all possibilties so he is not chasing his tail and if it is the fan un plugging it will tell him

Gems
08-12-2008, 07:01 PM
Park the car in your driveway... Let the engine cool... Start it up and pop open the hood... Let the engine idle and warm up while you stand in front of the open engine bay... After about 10-15 minutes the engine should warm up enough to kick on the fans... You will hear, and see, the fans start turning... Pay attention and notice if your screeching noise starts up at that same time... If not, you might be able to hear from what other location in the engine bay the noise starts coming from...

310boy
04-24-2009, 01:50 AM
same problem need help

jonnik
04-24-2009, 02:22 PM
If the noise changes pitch or gets louder as the engine RPM increases, it"s probably a belt pulley or bearing of a belt driven part. The fans do not change speed with the engine.

gmck
05-14-2009, 06:25 PM
We have the same problem but it started right after changing the oil, filter and pcv valve. When the car is running and we take off the oil cap or remove the dipstick the noise stops instantly. We thought it might be a faulty pcv valve but we changed that and it didnt help. I dont want to drive it with the dipstick up, anybody got any ideas
Thanx for any help, the noise is embarassing

jgrimmage
03-22-2010, 01:49 PM
I had the same problem. It was my harmonic balancer. The Belt was off by 2 cm which caused the loud noise under my 2001 impala hood. I got it fixed now and now theres no noise.

auto trainy
03-22-2010, 07:53 PM
I would check that the o' rings for the PVC are not damaged or dried out .

mitch_houser
05-27-2010, 08:56 PM
The O rings in the PVC now thats the right anserew

Add your comment to this topic!