Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

fuel pump and ignition

alshane
08-09-2008, 09:30 PM
i have a 1990 vw cabriolet. i just got it out of the shop from having a new ignition switch installed. it ran good for a couple of days and now it won't start. the fuel pumps are not coming on and i have no fire leaving the coil ( i have 12 volts on one wire when the switch is on). could this problem be related to the new swtich installed or could it be something totally different

jd-autotech
08-09-2008, 09:48 PM
well we need more info does it crank? any remote start? what does happen when you try to start it. is there a security system ?

alshane
08-10-2008, 02:15 PM
it does not crank. it does not have a remote start, and there is no security system. i have 12 volts going to one black wire (there are 2 black wires and 2 red ones connecting to the coil) on the coil when the switch is on. the fuel sender works but i dont have any voltage going to the pumps.

Scrapper
08-10-2008, 03:30 PM
if it don't crank over i'd have starter checked and make sure the neg cable is got a good ground to the engine. pluss if your starter takes alot of juice from fuel pump i know you said it won't crank either so when you get it to crank then check fuel pump. to me sounds like another broken wire or it's a fuse or the starter...good luck..

alshane
08-10-2008, 08:28 PM
my bad for not being more thourgh. the car turns over fine it just don't fire.i can run a wire from the pumps to the switch to get them a working. i have no fire leaving the coil.

Scrapper
08-10-2008, 08:44 PM
no gas no fire it must have a broken wire some where going to the coil? are you sure it's not the fuel cut off switch? other than that you got me.

veedubmechanic
08-10-2008, 09:40 PM
also check the wires going from the fuse box to the engine bay under the driver front lower kickpannel. Common issue is the top leaks at te driver front corner and water drips down to the fuse/relay box and corrodes wires. I have seen many a times the cars start on fire from this.

alshane
08-15-2008, 08:07 PM
well, doing all the checks you guys suggested i have narrowed down the problem to the ecm module or something has can loose/unplugged in the switch i just had installed. Since she has an airbag she is going back to the mechanic who installed it on Monday. i will give all of yall and update when i hear something from my mechanic.

Add your comment to this topic!