Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Won't start when hot - runs great otherwise

fnfal308
08-08-2008, 06:27 PM
Searched and searched . Then it struck me I have an Isuzu and the no start problems probably are not the same as a Honda.

2000 Passport 3.2 V6. Changed plugs about 2 months ago. Changed the EGR about 11 months ago and cleaned the tube out good. (EGR was still good BTW). 96,000 miles.

I turn it off to go in the store, come back out, it will not start. Turns over (cranks) just fine. Earlier I had to let it cool off for 15 min before it started. This has happened a lot in the last week, and it is guaranteed to happen everytime now. Other than this it runs GREAT! Once it starts everyhting runs normal.

Always starts when cold meaning after it has been stting at least 30 minutes.

What could this be? This is a big Honda problem with the main relay, but here it doesn't seem to be a problem with Isuzus.

Thanks!

witherer
08-09-2008, 07:08 AM
Is it possible to jump start it, when you have this problem? If so, it might be a heat soak (over heating) problem with the starter. Haven't heard of this being a typically problem with Isuzu's, but it's possible. On other vehicles a heat shield is needed. May be a long shot...

fnfal308
08-09-2008, 12:14 PM
It turns over like a sewing machine, just won't start when hot unless it sits awhile.

I am changing the fuel regulater right now.

fnfal308
08-09-2008, 03:40 PM
Changed the regulator. drove around and let it get hot and it seems like it has more pep. Got home and it restarted ok. But the real deal will be let it get really hot like in rush hour traffic at 100 deg ambient temp with the A/C on max. Been getting near 100 here around Houston.

Could just be the higher alcohol content in the gas causing a vapor lock under a lower fuel pressure conditions if the regulator was weak.

But, I haven't looked up the vapor pressure of 100% gas or 100% alcohol - I'm just ASSuMIng that alcohol is higher. Keeping in mind that gasoline has a very wide molecular weight distribution.

jd-autotech
08-09-2008, 04:47 PM
fuel pump is getting bad change it. yes i am sure

fnfal308
08-09-2008, 10:33 PM
At least changing the fuel pump in the Passport is not near as bad as in my 91 firebird. That'll make you cuss like a sailor.

Thanks, I'll go ahead and change it.

Add your comment to this topic!