Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 Grand Am stymies mechanic

Person144
08-08-2008, 03:47 PM
Hi everyone. I've never posted here before, but my car has mystified my mechanic and everyone here seems very knowledgeable.
My 1997 Grand Am had a recurring problem where I would try to turn it off, and the key would become stuck in the accessory position. The engine would turn off, but the electrical system would remain on until I heard a click, at which point I could turn it off and pull the key out. This wasn't such a big deal, but it got to be pretty annoying when I had to sit in the car and wait for this click.
After this went on for several months, I took it to a mechanic. He took it apart, said it was a problem with the ignition and advised me to take it to a locksmith and see what he could do before ordering a new ignition. The locksmith looked at it, rekeyed it, and replaced brass wafers with aluminum ones. I don't know what that means, but he said the brass could get corroded and that may be causing the problem.
Before the locksmith rekeyed it, but after the mechanic looked at it, the car was running fine.
I brought the part back to the mechanic, who tried to reinstall it. Now, the car will not recognize the ignition and reprogram itself. The antitheft light blinks maybe five or six times, and then turns off. We ordered a brand new ignition for my car, and the car still won't recognize it. Instead of reprogramming, the light just blinks, turns off, and the car just sits there.
The mechanic has no idea how to fix it. The locksmith doesn't know what to do. I'm really hoping someone here knows, because we are lost.

Rhin0_31
08-08-2008, 11:07 PM
I am not sure about the 97 model grand am, but i know when you replace/change certain components in the ignition system of 2000 model grand am that the powertrain control module (PCM) will sometimes need to be reset and go through a relearn procedure. This is only a guess because I have not had experience with this problem on my grand am. But maybe this can point you in the right direction?

xeroinfinity
08-09-2008, 06:55 PM
Welcome to AF Person144 !!

Might have a try with the security relearn procedure, should fix the security light, if not ..... you'll need to take it to the stealership. :(.

Security relearn procedure:

1) Attempt to start the car by turning the key to the Start/Run Position.
2) Observe that the vehicle fails to start and that the security light is illuminated.
3) Release key to the 'ON/Accessory' Position. (DO NOT turn key to the 'off' position.)
4) Allow the vehicle to sit with the key in the 'ON/Accessory' Position for no less than 11 minutes.
5) Turn key to off position and allow the vehicle to remain in the 'OFF' position for no less than 30 seconds.
6) Repeat #1 - #5 for 3 cycles.
7) On 4th attempt, car should start.

NOTE : Since this is a fairly long procedure, I would limit all electrical sources, such as disconnecting headlights, to prevent discharge of battery.

NOTE 2 : It is SAFE to wait LONGER than the allotted time, but it is not safe to wait less time. I.e. 12 minutes instead of 11 minutes should be safe; however, waiting 10 minutes instead of 11 minutes is not safe.

Properly executed, this procedure should take approximately 35 minutes to complete

Hope that helps!

Add your comment to this topic!