Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Another hot jeep question

northstar1958
08-07-2008, 08:10 PM
Gentlemen:

My 95 sport (4.0L) temp gauge is running between 210 and almost the begining of the red mark. I took it down the highway with the a/c 150 miles in a 100 degree day. Is this normal? It came close to touching the red, but never did. If it does overheat, is there a light that will come on with the gauge that high? or do you only have the gauge as a "overheat warning?" Thanks.

Northstar

72mino
08-08-2008, 05:14 AM
Is it normal? No.
Is it common? Yes

Is there a light? I don't think so.

Alot of jeep owners have problems with them running hot.
Check your coolant level and condition. If it looks dirty its probably overdue for a flush. If its low, start trying to find the leak, don't forget to check water pump weep hole.
Make sure your cooling fan(s) are kicking in. I think you should have 1 electric and 1 mechanical fan.
Check the front of your radiator, make sure it isn't so dirty that airflow is being compromised.
You can get something called 'Water Wetter' that is supposed to help with heat transfer to keep your engine cooler. I haven't tried it, but I've heard its good stuff.

I'm no expert, but I've read a few threads of people having problems with their jeeps running hot.

Hope this is helpfull,
Dustin

thinmints
08-08-2008, 07:14 PM
I'm no expert, but I've read a few threads of people having problems with their jeeps running hot.

Hope this is helpfull,
Dustin[/QUOTE]

They do run hot on the stock radiator, you can get a much better aftermarket unit that will keep your rig a lot cooler

here is a link that should help you out

http://jeephorizons.com/tech/xj_cooling.html

northstar1958
08-09-2008, 06:40 AM
Thanks guys,

Did some checking and the clutch fan was bad. I used a thin screwdriver and removed the center spring on the clutch, dropped the temp to 210 and stayed there. Instead of replacing the fan clutch, i'm gonna find a way to just lock it in and see how that works before i replace it.

gtmud
08-18-2008, 10:38 PM
Well I hope you are either rich or own your own gas company. As soon as you lock the fan clutch to turn the fan constantly, your milage will take a nose dive! Fix it right then you will have the best of both worlds. As far as the running hot, lets think about this. You said that your A/C was on, so, here it is 100 degrees and you have a condensor that is nice and hot IN FRONT of the radiator. Well you just may have figured it out. There is a reason that there is that space between hot and cold on your temp guage, its the normal range, ANYWHERE with in that range is ok, may not be were you want it, but when its 100+ degrees and there is already something hot in front of the radiator, you engine will run warmer than on an 85 degree day. Your system is fine.

northstar1958
08-24-2008, 12:25 PM
gtmud:

I installed the new clutch fan, didn't know a locked in fan would affect gas mileage, thats good info to know, Thanks.
It works and cools as it should now. I can't get it over 210 on a hot day, it even seems to drop the temp a bit when the air is on when you sit and idle. The fan clutch cost 40 bucks, and was pretty easy to install. Thanks again for the info.

Northstar

joe8918
08-28-2008, 10:15 AM
:2cents:

I was suffering the same issues where I was almost at red with highway, A/C on (and I'm in Michigan). I replaced the fan clutch which may have helped, however, then I replaced the radiator. I installed a 3-row CSF from DPG offroad (Dirk is great to work with as many will testify) and now my coolant temp. doesn't go past 210 stuck in traffic with A/C on.

I just did it this weekend and took four hours max. and the rad. is ~$200 but keeps my mind at ease now as opposed to continually watching the temp. gauge.

:2cents:

Add your comment to this topic!