Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Insurance Question

doberman_52
08-07-2008, 03:33 PM
I was given a car in the end of May, needed repairs so we got it set up to go to the shop. The guy was supposed to pick it up around June 1st to the 4th, and didnt pick it up until around the 13th or 14th. He didnt start on it until about June 28th or so, and finished it on friday June 11th. That morning my gf's dad and I went to the bank to get the loan for the repairs since we didnt have the exact figures until then and got the loan. I then picked up the car and got the title transfered into my name and got the plates and registration right after that. Since the wait in line for the registration was lengthy I did not have time to get to the insurance company and get insurance on it (didnt get it before since I didnt know when he would be done). Plus my understanding was that we had a few days to get insurance on it before we would get in trouble. I got pulled over on Saturday the 12th for expired plates since i didnt get a chance to change them yet. He gave me a Court Appearance for no insurance. Being the the day after I bought the car and getting pulled over, is there anything that I can do presenting the circumstances?

'97ventureowner
08-07-2008, 04:24 PM
According to your profile, you live in South Dakota. Do you still reside there?
Each state has their own requirements to register/license a vehicle, ( I live in NY and you are required to sahow proof of current insurance when registering a vehicle.) I checked on your state's DMV website and noticed SD switched from a system where the plates on a vehicle stay with that vehicle when sold to a new system where the plates stay with the owner. The site also mentioned to expect heavy business volume at the DMV during the first half of July because of this switchm so that is probably why you expewrienced the long wait periods. Best thing to do is to consult that site http://sdcars.org/index.htm and find out your state's requirements about when insurance is required and at what time and if there are any grace periods. If you find info that leads to you thinking you may be "in the right", then contact the court and present your findings. If you don't see anything that can help you, then go to court on your appearance date and explain that you didn't know the laws and what can you do to reduce or eliminate the ticket/fine. If you got your insurance within a few days of registering the vehicle, the court may be lenient in imposing any penalty especially if you are sincere.

doberman_52
08-07-2008, 08:17 PM
Yes its still SD, sorry bout that. I got it from Iowa and there actually were no plates on it, so I put the ones from my 240sx on it. Just got a warning ticket for that, but court apperance for the insurance. Ill check that site in the moning and go from there.

doberman_52
08-08-2008, 11:58 AM
I sent them an email asking if there is a grace period. Yeah, the treasurie dept said they had some changes which were taking a while to get used to and all that when I was in there. Otherwise I may check in with the assistance program at work, they offer free legal advice and see what I can do, otherwise I am just waiting for a reply from the DMV.

fredjacksonsan
08-11-2008, 04:31 AM
Since the ticket is for no insurance, I'd just call your insurance company first. If your insurance company has a grace period and you were covered, then it's a no brainer. Simply get your coverage (as of the date you bought it), show up in court with all your paperwork/licensing correct, and the judge should drop the charges.

doberman_52
08-11-2008, 09:58 AM
Since the ticket is for no insurance, I'd just call your insurance company first. If your insurance company has a grace period and you were covered, then it's a no brainer. Simply get your coverage (as of the date you bought it), show up in court with all your paperwork/licensing correct, and the judge should drop the charges. Went in the next Monday to get insurance, but had to wait till tuesday since I didnt have my new address, I will give them a call today and see what they say sine It ha lapsed as of June 10th. Can you change the start Date after its enstated? I didnt know you could actually have them start it to a point before you go in. DMV sent me an email saying they dont regulate insurance and to contact my insurance provider. As for that, the company I go through handels many actual companies, The actuall company is out in OR, would I call the company in Sioux Falls, or the one in OR?

'97ventureowner
08-11-2008, 10:02 AM
I would start with the company in Sioux Falls. They can either answer your question(s) or give y.ou info on who to contact at the OR office

fredjacksonsan
08-11-2008, 11:08 PM
Yup. Start with the customer service number on the card.

doberman_52
08-12-2008, 01:31 PM
Yup. Start with the customer service number on the card.That would be the OR office then. Ill be giving them a call this afternoon.

doberman_52
08-12-2008, 05:25 PM
Well, insurance will stay active as of July 15th, no grace period, so Im guessing Im SOL on that part. Have to hope the judge is in a good mood when I go in for the second appearance...

doberman_52
08-13-2008, 12:50 PM
Would it be worth getting a public deffender or lawyer for this? Really dont have a lot of money right at the moment since Im in a tight spot. If found guilty, I can get up to $500 in fines + costs, have to file SR22, and 30 days suspended license.

'97ventureowner
08-13-2008, 01:32 PM
You have to decide if it's worth it to you. You need to know the total cost for lawyers fees if you can't get a defender. Add to that any court costs, fees, and/or fines. Then look at what it would cost (the most) in a worst case scenario. I don't know how they do it in SD, but in NY you can talk to the DA (district attorney) actually someone from that office and ask if they would consider a lesser charge/infraction where the fine is a lot less, and you may not have your license suspended. I've seen in the courts around here where defendants can get a small fine and attend "traffic school" a 6 hr course to satisfy the court. It all depends on what they have to offer. Call the court ahead of time , before your court date and ask if they have a program like I just described.

Add your comment to this topic!