Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Oil Filter Blew Off!

sillnye
08-07-2008, 09:55 AM
Driving my 2007 Toyota Camry SE 4cyl when i heard a loud bang. Thought i ran over a bottle of water because i saw a splash in the rearview. After 1 min, oil light came on and engine seized. Towed it over to the dealer and they said that there was no oil filter. They had performed an oil change about 10,000 km ago and were busy the week before the problem, so they told me to top off the oil if the level was a little down. I did this with about 1.5 litres of oil and the level was fine.

They didn't give me warranty because they said that there was no oil filter. They said that the oil filter doesn't just blow off and not leave any reminence where it fits into. The threads are also fine and no damage can be seen. Toyota then said that because there was no oil filter, they don't know what happened between the last oil change and the time the oil filter blew off. So they said it was my problem because oil filters just don't blow off and not leave anything behind. Am i screwed here or what? Thanks for any input you can give me. Toyota customer service said that their decision is final. I don't want to pursue this legally, but i may have to... since the parts department said the engine was about $25,000. Which is more than i paid for the car.

somick
08-07-2008, 10:23 AM
I feel sorry for your loss, but not too much you can do about it.

Are there any signs of a blown filter around? The way you described it the oil filter just got loose and simply feel off. May be the service department did not tighten it well enough! But how you can prove it now?

Sam

sillnye
08-07-2008, 11:09 AM
The car has 72,000 km on it. Warranty department even said that if it happened at 1000 km, it would have been treated the same way. I am so shocked by this since Toyota prides themselves on customer satisfaction. I can tell you now, i'm not a satisfied customer.

RIP
08-07-2008, 11:54 AM
Unfortunately, I can see Toyota's point. Many things can happen in 10000km. I've never seen one blow off but, I would think the base of the filter would still be on the engine. It looks like it loosened up and finally blew off. When you made your regular oil checks during that 10000km did you see any indication you were loosing oil? Ever see oil in your driveway?

I would sure hope if they want to charge you $25,000 for a new engine they provide a free limo service, a trip to Tahitti, and a gold plated engine. Sure they didn't say $2500? Engines normally cost $2-5000. They may charge you $20,000+ in hourly labor fees if THEY take that trip to Tahitti.

sillnye
08-07-2008, 12:32 PM
yes...many things can happen during the 10,000 km but if they did the oil change and i haven't touched the oil filter, why would they blame me for it? they can't tell me any reason it would blow off the car. and they went as far as saying that it never happens. i heard from another mechanic that if the oil pressure was too high, it could cause the oil filter to blow off the car. not sure if this is the case.

i had not seen any oil on the driveway and the oil levels were pretty good all the time. this is something that i check when i fill up my car with gas.

thanks again for any help!

Mike Gerber
08-07-2008, 02:57 PM
Can you go back to the spot where you heard it blow off and look for the filter. If you can find the actual Toyota oil filter that the dealer installed, it might give you some additional leverage with Toyota. Just a thought.

"Toyota customer service said that their decision is final." Just to clarify something here, when you say Toyota customer service, you are talking about Toyota corporate and not the dealer's customer service rep. Is that assumption correct?

Mike

jdmccright
08-07-2008, 04:08 PM
I'd look for the filter too. If the threads aren't the correct size then it could have not had enough engagement to hold it. I doubt it worked itself loose because she would have lost oil long before the filter blew off...as soon as the gasket lost contact with the engine block...causing the oil light to come on. Finding it would confirm they used the correct type and installed it correctly.

Did I read right...you needed 1.5 LITERS of oil to top off the level? Yet you saw no drips, leaks under your car or oil on the engine when you went to fill it? It had to have been going somewhere...and these engines don't burn oil...certainly not to that extent when new.

Brian R.
08-07-2008, 09:33 PM
I'd be tempted to think that the filter failed normally (worked loose because it wasn't tightened securely) and the dealer removed it afterward to keep from being liable. I guess I just have a dirty mind.

JOET/CAMRY
08-07-2008, 10:21 PM
I'd be tempted to think that the filter failed normally (worked loose because it wasn't tightened securely) and the dealer removed it afterward to keep from being liable. I guess I just have a dirty mind.
I was thinking the same thing.:uhoh: I'll bet one of their mechanics put it on very loose but forgot to tighten it up.:nono:

I'm wondering sillnye, did you open the hood once this happened and if you did what did you see. Was their oil all over the place?
On my 1989 Camry 4 cylinder I can see my oil filter right there on top. I don't know if a 2007 4 cylinder Camry is set up the same way. Good Luck.

Regards,
JOET/CAMRY

Brian R.
08-08-2008, 08:30 AM
Although I proposed this scenario, I find it hard to believe someone would screw on the filter loosely and not just twist it another 3/4 turn while they have their hand on it. Very strange situation.:screwy:

I was thinking the same thing.:uhoh: I'll bet one of their mechanics put it on very loose but forgot to tighten it up.:nono:

I'm wondering sillnye, did you open the hood once this happened and if you did what did you see. Was their oil all over the place?
On my 1989 Camry 4 cylinder I can see my oil filter right there on top. I don't know if a 2007 4 cylinder Camry is set up the same way. Good Luck.

Regards,
JOET/CAMRY

Mike Gerber
08-08-2008, 02:56 PM
"On my 1989 Camry 4 cylinder I can see my oil filter right there on top. I don't know if a 2007 4 cylinder Camry is set up the same way. Good Luck."

On the 07 Camry 2.4 liter 4 cylinder 2AZ engine, the filter is underneath the engine just in front of the oil pan, on the passenger side. It's actually up in a well, so it's just about impossible to see without getting completely under the car or having the car up in the air.

"I doubt it worked itself loose because she would have lost oil long before the filter blew off...as soon as the gasket lost contact with the engine block...causing the oil light to come on."

Another valid point that I would have to agree with. As soon as the gasket worked it way a bit loose, all the oil would have blown out rather quickly.

Mike

Add your comment to this topic!