Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1992 Buick Regal Water Pump Pulley gone bad need advice please!

Ikerson0369
08-06-2008, 01:38 PM
A couple days ago, while I was driving, most of my accessories and power steering went out. I checked under the hood and noticed that my belt was not turning. Upon closer inspection I noticed the pulley that is connected to the Water pump was just dangling there and not connected anymore and I was able to just pull it out from under the hood. If I am right then this is causing all of my other things such as alternator, power steering ect. not to work.

I am wondering how to does one go about replacing a bad WP pulley and is it possible. Never really worked on cars before and need some advice as to what steps I could take to fix this or maybe that I am missing something. How easy would a problem like this be to fix.

inafogg
08-06-2008, 02:08 PM
hello,yes you will loose accessories.did the pulley come unbolted or is part of wp still connected to pulley.either way it sounds like wp will need replacement.not a hard job to do.best to get a manual as they will have a step by step.

noclues
08-08-2008, 08:38 PM
i had the same problem about 2 years ago. it took me about 2-3 hrs of work to clean the area well and put in a new water pump. make sure you dont scratch the aluminum while cleaning. you'll need a black paste for the gasket sealing (the parts store will know). oh and i had to drain the engine coolant and then refill it when done.

roysleight
08-09-2008, 09:24 PM
Yep, serpentine belt will not drive anything when one pulley is gone. Replace the wp - not too difficult and reinstall the belt.

Add your comment to this topic!