Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Noise when startting on a cold morning

Jmrec100
08-05-2008, 12:44 PM
A friend's 2002 Sonata makes winding, screeching noise when started after sitting all night and its starts cold. He says its loud enough to wake people up. Maybe a bearing type noise? He Brought it to the dealer several times but they can't find anything. Anyone have an idea where to start looking? It seems to not make the noise when its warm out. I suspect that maybe after sitting all night the oil drains into the pan and then the bearings may be dry. Anyone have an idea where to look or had a similar problem?

Jmrec100
08-15-2008, 03:23 PM
Update: Dealer says its the starter? They say they checked the cables and insist its the starter. If the noise still there, my friend will not pay for it.

Jmrec100
08-21-2008, 12:38 AM
Wasn't the starter. My friend told the dealer that if the noise is still tehre, he will not pay for it and it will be dealer costs. The dealer agreed. So they have replaced a starter for no reason. They charged $600. And now its no cost. Sounds like it is a bearing not getting oil. So the dealer is still trying to fix it. Seems like they are "parts Changers" rather than really diagnosing it.
Anyway, anyone have any ideas? Its not the belts or anything like that.

Add your comment to this topic!