Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Speedometer and Gas Gauges Stop Working

Vetes
08-05-2008, 11:22 AM
Randomly, I'll be driving along and my speedometer and gas gauges top working. The tripometer and mileage gauge stop working too. Any ideas?

Oldsmobile Doctor
08-05-2008, 12:52 PM
Check this thread it worked for me..Thanks das2123

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=480855&highlight=cluster

als99-R/T
10-17-2008, 09:03 PM
:mad: Randomly, I'll be driving along and my speedometer and gas gauges top working. The tripometer and mileage gauge stop working too. Any ideas?

I have a 99R/T I had the same problem and everyone else will to on first Gen Neon's. The problem is bad solder joints on the circuit of your instrument cluster. There is a Guy on EBAY that has repaired circuit boards for about 25$

das2123
10-18-2008, 10:31 PM
:mad:

I have a 99R/T I had the same problem and everyone else will to on first Gen Neon's. The problem is bad solder joints on the circuit of your instrument cluster. There is a Guy on EBAY that has repaired circuit boards for about 25$
Don't spend $25 on something you can EASILY DO YOURSELF THOUGH!

BLACKANGEL32076
10-31-2008, 05:59 PM
Don't spend $25 on something you can EASILY DO YOURSELF THOUGH!

In addition to the resodering, what else is needed? The gages on mine are all helter skelter and and that the curcuit board in question was "burned out." I was also told that the computer needed to be recalibrated after they were in stalled. Is this because they would be installing a whole new gauge cluster along with the board or...what?

Oldsmobile Doctor
10-31-2008, 07:45 PM
I changed mine compleate for about a week while I fixed mine as it was much lower milage plus a 8 grand tach and never had a problem

denisond3
11-02-2008, 08:22 PM
On a 1998 Neon you can get the cluster from another 97-99 Neon and just install it. They are interchangeable. If yours doesnt have the tach, you can get a cluster from a boneyard that does have a tach in it. It will work with your car. There is no 'calibration' needed. I changed clusters in our family's Neon, and tried a couple of different ones. They all worked fine, though the speedo read about 65 when the car was actually going 61. Be sure to solder those contact pins though. Actually you are just reflowing the existing solder, or adding a tiny amount to the joint where each pin is soldered into the circuit board. If you get a really good magnifying lens, you would be able to see the cracks in the original solder.
The clusters are easy to remove from the 'donor' car. You just pry up the top of the dashboard cover and toss it in the back seat. A phillips screwdriver will undo the 4 screws, and you pull the cluster straight toward you. I used a long nosed pair of tweezers to put the bottom two phillips screws back in, since its not easy to fit my fingers down in there.

das2123
11-02-2008, 10:27 PM
In addition to the resodering, what else is needed? The gages on mine are all helter skelter and and that the curcuit board in question was "burned out." I was also told that the computer needed to be recalibrated after they were in stalled. Is this because they would be installing a whole new gauge cluster along with the board or...what?
Nothing else is needed. The PCM DOES NOT need to be recalibrated as it does not store mileage at all

Add your comment to this topic!