Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1997 chevy won't pass smog code P1870

Starz
08-03-2008, 04:11 PM
I purchased this 1997 chevy lumina private party and she had a new transmission put in 3 months ago (have receipts), the warrenty expired a 2 months ago (of course), I can't register the car because the code P 1870 is showing and there is nothing wrong with the transmission it runs great. So I took it to an auto shop and they reset the sensors but are waiting for 2 more to set, I don't understand this, they made me drive a long time in the car and still won't reset or pass smog! What the heck is wrong! The car drives fast and I don't feel any slippage...ahhhhhhhh can't take this, any advice would be great.:swear:

sad-lumina-owner
08-03-2008, 04:56 PM
I purchased this 1997 chevy lumina private party and she had a new transmission put in 3 months ago (have receipts), the warrenty expired a 2 months ago (of course), I can't register the car because the code P 1870 is showing and there is nothing wrong with the transmission it runs great. So I took it to an auto shop and they reset the sensors but are waiting for 2 more to set, I don't understand this, they made me drive a long time in the car and still won't reset or pass smog! What the heck is wrong! The car drives fast and I don't feel any slippage...ahhhhhhhh can't take this, any advice would be great.:swear:

Take it to a less scrupulous mechanic or a less accurate one, and get your E-test.

I thought it took about 20 minutes for the car to teach itself a good balance for fuel/air and idle speeds etc. Maybe it takes longer for newer car but maybe they are just jacking you around because they are busy.

jeffcoslacker
08-03-2008, 06:16 PM
Well the code says it's seeing slip in the torque convertor control lockup when it's locked.

You'd never feel the level of slip that will set a PO1870 code, more than 50 rpm in D$ with TCC locked will set it...

They are not resetting it right, it shouldn't be a problem...it may come back once reset, but I can't think of any reason they can't put it out.

Hell get it reset, drive slowly in second gear (to avoid TCC lockup and sensing slip) to the test center and as long as the light isn't on, it passes, at least here (MO)

Autozone should be able to put the light out free...

maxwedge
08-03-2008, 06:44 PM
Problem with that technique is you must go thru the drive cycle to reset the emissions monitors, or it will fail the test, at least here in NY that is the procedure. Of course based on driving conditions you may not get 1870 for a while, so once the monitors come online 1870 may be avoided.

Starz
08-06-2008, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the advice, this site is great!

Add your comment to this topic!