Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help! Found a part under my car! (See Pics)

nrk10
08-02-2008, 10:02 PM
The back story:

About 4 months ago (April 2008 I started hearing light metal to metal contact coming from the front left wheel. The noise sounds similar to a hamster wheel, occurring with the rotation of the tire/wheel. Unlike normal break wear, the squeak is bad only when the brake is not depressed; when I hit the brake, the noise goes away. It is worst when the car first starts moving, after it has been sitting for a while, and the noise goes away when I go faster than 25 mph...

Anyway, as the pads and rotors were worn, I replaced them on all 4 tires (at a Firestone shop) thinking this would correct the noise. It didn't. The noise got worse, so I took it to a Toyota place on the West Coast. The folks on the West coast could not figure out where the noise was coming from and they suggested it was because I put on generic pads/rotors. They suggested replacing the pads/rotors, AGAIN. I refused and waited until moving back to the East Coast to have my regular toyota mechanic check it out.

(July 2008) Jump ahead 3 months... I drive the car across the country without any problems. I brought my it to my Toyota dealership this week and explain to the service supervisor everything that happened. 95 dollar diagnostic fee later, they can't seem to figure out what is wrong either, and suggest getting all new pads/rotors. I was extremely frustrated and said I'd think about it.

Anyway, getting to my main problem: today, I went backed my car out of my parking spot and found a part underneath my car. The part seemed to fall/come from somewhere in the front half of my car. I showed the picture to several friends, and none of them seem to know where it came from. I'm going to bring it back to the dealer this week, but I am wondering, could this part that myteriously rusted off from my car be what was causing the squeaking? Does anyone know what it is??

Thanks guys, I appreciate it a lot!! (2000 Toyota Avalon):smooch:

http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/4457/30061450310220259200xl7.th.jpghttp://img164.imageshack.us/img164/1456/30061462110220263340bf4.th.jpg

jdmccright
08-02-2008, 11:58 PM
The obvious question is...does it still squeak now? If it does, then no that part wasn't it. I don't recognize the part you're showing...looks like some kind of rubber mount or isolator...doubtful, but part of an engine mount? I'd open the hood & see if you can find the matching rust spot where it might have come from.

redvalkrie
08-07-2008, 02:46 PM
WTF, Take more pix from back, top!

I would crawl under ur car & take some time checking out places & trying to match up to were it looks like it would go.

With out being there it is very hard to try to figure it out.:banghead:

JOET/CAMRY
08-07-2008, 03:24 PM
Anyway, getting to my main problem: today, I went backed my car out of my parking spot and found a part underneath my car.
I was thinking that this part may not belong to your car. When you say you backed your car out of your parking spot was it your own driveway or was it a "parking lot" type of parking situation.:confused: sometimes people see something like this part on the ground and kick it just for kicks (no pun intended) and if this is the case it could of landed under your car.:biggrin: It's possible.

Regards,
JOET/1966

Add your comment to this topic!