Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need to Advance Timing on 95 S10 with 2.2

mike1952
08-02-2008, 08:53 PM
I have converted my 4 cyl 2.2 S10 to run on propane or gasoline. I am propane most of the time. I am told I should advance the timing with propane. The spark plug wires on this engine come out of two ignition modules, but they don't look much like a distributor to me and I can't figure out how to loosen and turn this object.

Can anyone help me figure out how to advance the timing on this engine?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

wafrederick
08-03-2008, 01:15 PM
You can't,not adjustable and it is done by the computer.What you are talking about is called a coil pack which is a distribitorless ignition system.

mike1952
08-03-2008, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the reply. I suspected that the computer controls the ignition timing and that I would not be able to manually advance the timing to make use of the high octane propane characteristics. It was easier to convert the older vehicles with carbs and distributors than the newer vehicles with fuel injection and electronic ignition. It's still pretty easy, but it used to be easier.

I am thinking that this is a deadend because getting the computer to use a different ignition scheme would require rewriting the program, replacing a chip, that sort of thing.

The propane conversion runs pretty good. I lost a little power, but the only place I notice is at the on-ramp when I would like to get up to 60 mph or more with less time lapse.

Thanks again.

Mike

Add your comment to this topic!