Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

I'm A newbie and I wanted to ask a question...

luchjeg6
08-02-2008, 09:32 AM
Hi to all, I'm new here but it's six years that I'm buying model kits and I couldn't finish one of them because Sometimes I didn't have primer, sometimes the compound ecc. ecc. So I've not finished a model:grinno: in these long years.
Now I've got many tools To finish the models, and some of theme are coming here from ebay (Is it safe in your opinion buying from hong Kong?).
So now I've some projects in the way.
A question... Anyone of you has ever built the Honda S800 model from tamiya?
Because I wanted to ask how to cut the chrome parts from the blister (I don't know the exact term for this word).
I imagine that once cut the parts will have some black sections just where you've cut them , right?
What have to do then?
Thank u for all
Hope it will come out a good model

rsxse240
08-02-2008, 06:49 PM
Well, you've come to the right place to ask your questions.

I personally have not built the S200 from Tamiya, but judging by their other kits, it should be a fine model to build.

As for the chrome parts having black spots on them when you trim them from the SPRUE *not being rude*, Most Tamiya models are engineered so that bare spot is hidden, but if it isn't you can get away with a dot of CHROME SILVER paint. It hides it well, but will not give that chrome shine like what is on the part originally.

Another option is to strip the chrome with oven cleaner, bleach, or what ever you use to strip paint from your models, and apply some allclad II chrome to it. It will not be as shiny as the original part either, but will be a rather convincing replica if used properly.

luchjeg6
08-02-2008, 07:07 PM
And what about bare metal foil? Is it good?
Whic chrome silver paint is the better in your opinion? Can you post a link to it please?

freakray
08-02-2008, 07:23 PM
Whic chrome silver paint is the better in your opinion? Can you post a link to it please?

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=638256

And, welcome to AF :wave:

cinqster
08-02-2008, 08:12 PM
And what about bare metal foil? Is it good?

Don't even bother with paint if you want to patch up sprue join marks...chrome bare metal foil is by far the best solution of you don't want to strip all the chrome back.

Contrary to popular belief, some of the older Tamiya kits have the sprue joins in THE most stupidly visible places. Check out their 1/6th Honda Monkey bike for example - I'm sure the kit engineer was on acid at the time!
:smokin:

Shipped a lot of stuff from Hong Kong eBayers before and they have been as good as gold. I had one even send me some cash back (in Sterling) as he decided I had overpaid for an item. Only time I've ever been ripped off on eBay was by an idiot 10 miles away from me in London. Typical!:nono:

luchjeg6
08-02-2008, 08:23 PM
First of all thanky for the help,.
I decided to paint the chrome with a brush over the black spots left by the sprue... Which is the right product to buy and where can I buy it on the net?
I'm from Italy

tonioseven
08-02-2008, 08:23 PM
Howdy. Welcome. :sunglasse

rsxse240
08-03-2008, 06:17 PM
I use Testors Model Master Chrome Silver, but just about any brand of chrome silver paint will likely due just fine.

The thing I don't like about using bare metal foil to repair the spot is that it doesn't stick well to the kit chrome.

Add your comment to this topic!