Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Firebird LS1 engine

ns17
08-01-2008, 02:04 PM
I have built a Revell Firebird LS1 WS6 engine I have made a bigger throttle body (on top above the pulleys) and it has an LS6 manifold. I'm an amateur so don't be too harsh:smile:
http://i509.photobucket.com/albums/s334/MIniSkyline/PDR_4851.jpg
http://i509.photobucket.com/albums/s334/MIniSkyline/PDR_4856.jpg
http://i509.photobucket.com/albums/s334/MIniSkyline/PDR_4857.jpg

rsxse240
08-01-2008, 10:30 PM
Use less paint, and apply the cement very sparingly, and you will have a much nicer looking build. I suppose you are a new modeler? Young, too, no doubt. I just can't give any kind of constructive critique that doesn't sound like just plain criticism. Sorry man.

Don't give up! EVERY ONE OF US started out just like this, I PROMISE!

evilbob
08-04-2008, 11:20 PM
I have to agree with the above, but I'm thinking this looks like an AMT kit LS1, and basically, the kit parts aren't too great. You can see mine in this post (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=4798980&postcount=6). Probably if I were a better modeler I could have made mine look better, but you're really behind the 8-ball from the first with this kit.
Good start, keep it up! And have fun with it!
EVERY ONE OF US started out just like this, I PROMISE!
Ain't that the truth!

ns17
08-05-2008, 12:50 PM
Thanks. Any constructive criticism is welcome as well as tips on how to improve.

rsxse240
08-05-2008, 09:38 PM
The only thing I can say is that you must learn by trial and error. If you don't like the way something turned out, find out why it came out that way, and then find a better way of doing it. Your engine, for example... It, for the most part, was assembled properly, but the finish was less than desirable. Why did it turn out that way?... To much paint applied with a brush (correct?). Resolution... Get some Krylon, or other store brand decent quality spray paint in the colors you need, and practice spraying small parts. Another tip would be to paint the parts separately. Such as the engine block (assembled) is to be black, heads should be aluminum, trans is aluminum, belts flat black with gloss black pulleys. these should all be painted as individual parts rather than all assembled and painted together.

Take baby steps, you are in the early stages of model building. First try to assemble a kit without getting glue all over the place...seems you've done a fairly decent job of that so far. also try for paint finish. Some times you can just buy boxes of car bodies on ebay for stupid cheap prices. these are excellent for practice, I've done it.

I bet you are using the cheap white brushes that came with the paint kit, huh? Don't throw them away, they make great air brush cleaners. Get some GOOD brushes, and don't dunk the whole brush down into the paint. It only takes a little to get what you need done if you do it right. Don't paint anything with a brush that you can paint with a spray can or air brush. Even the cheap single action external mix $6 air brush will do a better job than any paint brush will....with practice.

I'd love to continue with this, but I'm sure you are already on overload right now. Please, don't give up! I need some competition at the next contest!!! haha

tigeraid
08-06-2008, 12:19 PM
The kit certainly doesn't give you much to work with--which is why you need to focus on painting instead.

1) as was mentioned--LESS GLUE. If you're using tube glue, throw it out, it's garbage. Buy some rubber cement, ideally the Tamiya stuff, with the brush in the bottle cap--that way YOU control how much glue goes on the parts. Very little is required to assemble this engine.

2) The colour for these engines IS gloss black, but not that glossy! I would've maybe dulled it a bit with flat black, or used a semi-gloss instead. Apply with spraypaint, not a brush, as was mentioned above--it's been laid on too thick here, which gives it that big, shiny, bubbly look that hides detail.

3) While the kit may be poor in detail, what detail there IS can be brought out with various shades of silver, aluminum, grey and black. On top of each valve cover on this engine is a coil, with a wire down to each spark plug. You can paint the coils flat black to have them stand out from the gloss black (or even red, if you wanted aftermarket MSD coils), and paint the little coil wire a different shade as well--or better yet, get some detailing wire and run your own down to the plug wires.

4) The intake manifold should be flat black, as the factory version is a type of hard plastic.

5) You can bring some depth to the transmission casing using a black wash--use a little dab of flat black paint mixed in with some thinner, and lightly brush it "over" the ribs in the case, then wipe off any excess--you'll be left with high and low dark spots, simulating depth and dirt.

Just some thoughts--welcome to the hobby, it's always a learning experience, regardless of your skill level!

GvEman
08-14-2008, 07:11 AM
Looks like a good start! We all started some where right! And my first build was real glue and paint bombs.. you could not se it was an engine due to all my glue and paint! haha ;)

2) The colour for these engines IS gloss black, but not that glossy! I would've maybe dulled it a bit with flat black, or used a semi-gloss instead. Apply with spraypaint, not a brush, as was mentioned above--it's been laid on too thick here, which gives it that big, shiny, bubbly look that hides detail.

Tigeraid: The LS1 Engine is not black, its bare alloy. Only engines found in trucks such as Tahoe, and sow on, have black engines, due to they have iron engines with alloy cyllinder heads.

My LS1 engine is modyfied but still it has all alloy engine.

http://www1.garaget.org/gallery/archive/59564/430423_3yznvv.jpg
http://www1.garaget.org/archive/60/59564/73604/73604-776388.jpg
http://www1.garaget.org/archive/60/59564/73604/73604-666179.jpg

Good luck with your future modelling and of course with this one as well!
If you want more pictures of my camaro(same chassis and engine as WS6) wisit my page www.nordiccamaros.se ;)

tigeraid
08-14-2008, 05:42 PM
fair enough, I'm an LT1 guy myself... last one I looked at was indeed in a truck... :tongue:

craig34
08-14-2008, 06:53 PM
Nice clean engine Gveman

GvEman
08-15-2008, 03:09 AM
fair enough, I'm an LT1 guy myself... last one I looked at was indeed in a truck... :tongue:

No offence tigeraid! You have an LT1, wich can be found in Corvette '92-96, Camaro 93-97, Impala SS 94-96, Caprice 93-96 and some other.
And on the LT1 engine, wich have no parts in comon with the LS1, you have a iron casted engine and then they painted the engines black to protect from rust. The later truck blocks have an LS based configuration with Iron casted engine instead of alloy. GM alloy engines are (known to me) LT5(ZR1 Corvette) LS1-LS7 and some odd engines back in the 60's.

Thanks Craig 34!

ns17
10-12-2008, 12:36 AM
Hmmm.... i have a revell kit, and if i remember correctly it says in the instructions to paint the half of the engine ahead of the transmission case semigloss black. I couldn't find semigloss black in a bottle, so i just used gloss black. But i can get it in a spray can, which is what i will use next time.

GvEman
10-13-2008, 06:12 AM
The revell instructions are wrong many times.. the manual is actualy the LT1 camaro manual updated with a few new pics.

A smal tips, always search for reference pictures on the internet before painting to get it acurate.. and that comes to every model car you build. Keep it up!

hiergehts
10-15-2008, 01:12 AM
Hmmm.... i have a revell kit, and if i remember correctly it says in the instructions to paint the half of the engine ahead of the transmission case semigloss black. I couldn't find semigloss black in a bottle, so i just used gloss black. But i can get it in a spray can, which is what i will use next time.

Kit instructions are often wrong in what they call out or default to generic assumptions based on the brand of paint they refer to. The best thing is to have your own photographs or other items (like books, dealer brochures, etc.) to cross-reference the instructions with.

In my own case I create a photo reference file on each model I start using images culled from the internet. One place I've found useful for free automotive reference photos is ebaymotors - many auctions will have engine and/or chassis shots to 'prove' the condition. These kind of photos are a good starting point.

I did a quick search there using "GM LS1 engine" and came up with this engine auction which has a few relevant photos: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LS1-5-7-L-GM-350-CHEVROLET-ENGINE-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ120316130399QQihZ002QQcategoryZ33615Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

In case that link doesn't work the item # is: 120316130399 and the auction title is: LS1 5.7 L GM 350 CHEVROLET ENGINE ***BRAND NEW***

HTH

Hiergehts

mn80228
10-15-2008, 12:00 PM
The instructions may still be correct.....

It depends on WHICH camaro you have.

Not all Camaros or Corvettes for that matter came with the LS1 motor.

For instance an 02' Camaro would have the LS1, where as an 94' Camaro would have the LT1.

But I do agress, the LS family of motors would be bare aluminum in a camaro application.

Add your comment to this topic!