Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Air cond. just stopped working??

racedad21
07-31-2008, 10:12 PM
Our 2002 Rendezvous air cond. just stopped working today. The compressor does not go on. Wife is mad. Can anyone help me out?

I would love to check the fuses, but I didn't get a manual when I bought it and I have no idea witch fuse it could be.

Any help out there? :confused:

Thanks a bunch!

Gerald.

racedad21
08-26-2008, 05:26 PM
Ok....no one has anything to say? :banghead:

I checked the fuse and the air cond. relay and they are good. Looks like I have to go further into trouble shooting.

I don't bite........if anyone has anything of value to say, I'm listening.:wink:

BNaylor
08-26-2008, 08:02 PM
Check to see if you have 12 volts from the A/C clutch relay at the compressor electrical connector which is needed to energize the clutch coil. Other possibility is you may be excessively low on refrigerant charge possibly due to a leak so the A/C clutch relay will not energize since the signal (low, ground) comes from the PCM module and based on pressure at the refrigerant pressure switch.

brcidd
08-26-2008, 08:56 PM
All 2001 and 2002 Mitsubishi Systems are prone to condenser leaks- that means all Montana, Ventures, Silhouettes, Rendezvous,and Azteks for '01 and '02 You can see the leak from underneath if you have it and I will bet you do. It is at bottom right hand corner (passenger side) of condenser. There will be green oil present- from the dye in the system. I have analyzed over 50 in my work over the last 6 yrs and replaced about 25 of those condensers. It is a very well known failure-- I suspect all OEM condensers will fail sooner or later-- most shops want about $650 to change one out..I have photos pasted on other sites showing the problem.

You can recharge your system but in two weeks or two days you will be hot again..best to verify the leak- then change it out..

Here is my link to the photo..

http://idle-hourranch.com/Condenser-Leak-U-van-01-02.JPG

racedad21
08-26-2008, 10:08 PM
All 2001 and 2002 Mitsubishi Systems are prone to condenser leaks- that means all Montana, Ventures, Silhouettes, Rendezvous,and Azteks for '01 and '02 You can see the leak from underneath if you have it and I will bet you do. It is at bottom right hand corner (passenger side) of condenser. There will be green oil present- from the dye in the system. I have analyzed over 50 in my work over the last 6 yrs and replaced about 25 of those condensers. It is a very well known failure-- I suspect all OEM condensers will fail sooner or later-- most shops want about $650 to change one out..I have photos pasted on other sites showing the problem.

You can recharge your system but in two weeks or two days you will be hot again..best to verify the leak- then change it out..

Here is my link to the photo..

http://idle-hourranch.com/Condenser-Leak-U-van-01-02.JPG

OK....I had a long look at my condenser and it is all dry with no green stuff on it. To me, it looks normal.

I just have a hard time thinking it would cool like mad and then shut off the ignition and find it not working when started again.
I'm thinking my next step is to pull the dash apart and check the switches. Maybe there is something burned up behind there.
I have the dual zone stuff...maybe something there? Who knows.

I really appreciate the suggestions though guys. I'm a memeber of a few diesel forums, and love the communication a person can have with others.

Gerald.

BNaylor
08-27-2008, 06:27 AM
Before pulling apart the dash did you check for 12 volts at one side of the A/C clutch fuse with the climate control on? Use a mulitmeter (DMM). If it is missing then you can back track to the climate control unit.

Add your comment to this topic!