Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Brake Issues

Jen2
07-31-2008, 04:33 PM
A couple of weeks ago I started noticing that when I would brake while making a left turn my 2001 Aztek would make a slight grinding noise and you could feel bumping as you were turning. A couple of days later the Anti-Lock light came on, then went off a day later.

I took it to my mechanic who said it needed new brake pads (those were last replaced 2 years ago) and the rotors needed ground down (those were replaced 2 years ago and turned last year). He also soaked the springs and said they were rusted slightly and thought that was the issue with the bumping.

Got it back today...on my first left turn at a slow speed felt the grinding and the bumping. At one point the truck slid right through a stop and I couldn't get the brakes to engage properly. Then the Anti-Lock light came on again. I am afraid to drive it since I have kids. I've done a bit of research on this and it seems a lot of people are having/had brake issues that were similar but no one had a solution aside from changing hubs, new computer, re-wire, etc...and most of them did all of that and the problem still existed.

Anyone have a solution? I'm taking it in to the Pontiac dealer tomorrow but have a feeling I'm going to get the same run around with trying this and that while racking up a ton in costs.

big dave
07-31-2008, 08:47 PM
I just had the same issue on my Aztek. It was the ABS hub sensor. Get it fixed quick.

GTP Dad
08-01-2008, 06:56 AM
Welcome to AF!!

Have the hub assembly replaced. The bearing is bad and the sensor is part of the wheel bearing/hub assembly. Once replaced the problem should go away. I would find a new mechanic too since obviously he took you for the cost of replacing brakes that probably didn't need replacing.

Jen2
08-01-2008, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the replies but I did want to say I was reading on another forum where that is the first thing people replaced and although it solved the problem for a while it started back up again. I noticed that they would then have the wire assembly repaired, then typically the computer. No one had a difinitive answer and most were still in the process of repair. Is this normal?

I have no doubt that my brakes and rotors needed fixed, my mechanic is a long time friend and I know he wouldn't take me for a ride. In speaking with him he test drove it a couple of times afterwards and didn't have any issues. When I picked it up I drove it for over ten miles and didn't have any problems, it was only later in the evening that it started again. Once I have Pontiac check it out I was considering taking it back to my guy since he is so much cheaper and I trust him.

GTP Dad
08-01-2008, 07:10 PM
If you trust him and he is not taking you for a ride then that is all that matters. Usually the key to the issue you brought up is the noise you hear. Brake noises usually only happen when you hit the brakes. A bearing will make the noise regardless of braking. The other key is the fact that the ABS light comes on. The ABS computer does a diagnostic each time you turn the key on and this is usually when it detects a problem. Unfortunately, GM chose to make the abs sensor part of the wheel hub assembly and you must replace the entire assembly to repair the problem. The part can be costly due to the cost of the hub. It can be done in about an hour to an hour and a half. Good Luck!

Jen2
08-08-2008, 01:59 PM
Got the truck into the local Pontiac dealer on Monday. When I came back the manager wanted me to talk with the mechanic. At first he said it was the hub, then after speaking with me he changed his mind and said it was the wire assembly. He hooked it up to the computer and he found no readings coming off of it even though the ABS light had been on the day earlier. I think they are grasping at straws. They want $200 to do the left wire assembly, from there if the problem still exists they would move on to the hub (which was well over $300). I knew this was going to happen....

GTP Dad
08-09-2008, 02:21 PM
Take the vehicle back to the original mechanic and have him change the hub assembly for you. It will be much cheaper than at the dealer and see what happens. It is possible that the wiring is bad but I would try the hub assembly first since that is what usually causes the issue especially given the fact that you hear a grinding noise.

Add your comment to this topic!