Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Urgent, CV Boots

JoeShmoe
07-31-2008, 09:07 AM
Can I put a new boot on my cv joints on my V6 SE? I accidently popped one joint out of place on the pass side, and the driver side I had to remove the clamp on the inside boot to get the axle out. I want to replace both of those boots with new clamps or maybe even boots. Can this be done? Please, I'm stuck, help me.

beyondloadedSE
07-31-2008, 12:36 PM
Does a dealership carry these parts? If so, yes.

I saved you a step and did it for you.
http://www.teamfordparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=214270&chapter=&sectionids=20,0&groupid=10016&subgroupid=20015&componentid=60153&make=10&model=Contour&year=1999&catalogid=1&displayCatalogid=0

rhandwor
08-01-2008, 06:55 AM
Parts stores carry straps for the boots. This is one type of tool and straps for the joint. Http://www.autopart.com/TOOLS/TOOLSMAIN/Tool/T_4230.htm
The clamps use search and type in 4240.
Anyway a tool will be needed to install new boots. The cost of new boots is close to the cost of a rebuilt axle. I use this site because they have good pictures. I do purchase tools I need but don't use a lot from them. Most have a warranty. Used tools look on ebay.
Look at your parts store for what you need. If you buy Ford boots use search and type in cv joint boot tool. Right side look for what type you need and buy anywhere you want.

wafrederick
08-01-2008, 08:14 PM
The easier way is to get two reman axles and easier.No one ever replaces the boots anymore due to getting new axles which is the easier way.Advanced Auto is one place to stay away from for axles and I know someone that went through this.He replaced 6 axle in a Dodge Neon which were from Advanced.

JoeShmoe
08-04-2008, 10:14 AM
Thanks guys, I just got new grease and straps for the boots. I did not get the tool because I knew i was not going to be using it all that often. I did notice the my joints (tripod) were a lot easier to work with than with the two other joints the countour came with. Either way, thanks fellas, car runs great and no noise from the boots. :wink:

Add your comment to this topic!