Acetone and Xylene as Fuel Additives

older'n'dirt
07-30-2008, 04:29 PM
In the Forum, there is a recipe for a fuel additive that contains acetone, xylene, and 5W-30 synthetic oil.

Is there a reason for adding the oil?

older'n'dirt
08-03-2008, 10:10 AM
After much Googling, it turns out that there is not a lot of good information about using acetone and xylene as additives. Most sources state much the same thing: the acetone decreases the surface tension of the fuel and the xylene helps to eliminate or alter the emissions.

There is an awful lot of anecdotal evidence (basically testimonials from individuals who have tried it). Some of contributors made valid attempts at running their own "experiments" and documenting the results. Unfortunately, these attempts fall quite short of a true experiment. Understandable just by the fact that these are non-scientific public with limited resources.

There are three other factions on the forum circuit that are quite vocal, two of which are the conspiracy theorists and the "I had an uncle whose brother's cousin's wife..." group. Both have interesting comments which are entertaining at best (personally I prefer the conspiracy theorists).

The third group are the scientific/engineering/experts who write voluminous amounts of numbers and equations to back up their statements.

Who do you believe? All have their own opinion and all feel that theirs is the absolute truth. Personally, I would go with the non-scientific public who have nothing to gain by reporting false information (unless they are paid puppets of the BigCorporationGovernmentOilGiants.........sorry, little bit of paranoia slipped out, there).

Somethings that are common to most sources: mixture ratios of .0015/1 (2oz./10gals.US), more seems to be detrimental; the older, ie, more mileage, the better the results; commercially mixed additives are no better than home-brewed; damage to fuel systems is unlikely; straight acetone should not be used on diesel engines.

In regards to the last two statements: most reports of damage to fuel systems were anecdotal and the authors stated that after using acetone on a vehicle with however many millions of miles on it that their injectors/fuel pump had to be replaced, and that their mechanic who had seen this all before knew that it was the acetone that caused the problem.
As to the issue of using acetone in diesels, there is some evidence (unsubstantiated by the author, yet believable to a point) that because of the hygroscopic nature of acetone, damage to the injector pump and injectors could result. This is, apparently, caused by the lack of lubrication, in the adsorbed water, and the tight tolerances in the pump; and, the size of the water molecule (being too big) passing through the injector tip.

All of the above is just what I've read and digested in the last couple of days. All of it or none of it is true....your call. No offence is intended to any group or individual, your beliefs are your own.

Add your comment to this topic!