Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

fuel pump resistor or O2 sensor

umina
07-29-2008, 06:12 PM
Does the Regal LS have a fuel pump resistor, or is that only on the GS/GSE models? I've got a 2001 LS and think I've got a fuel pressure problem (don't have a pressure gauge at the house) or an O2 problem. Its gotten difficult to start, it cranks alot, then starts and if you don't give it some gas, it will die. After a second or two with some gas, you can let off and it will run rough (like its missing or something) and/or smooth out and be fine for daily driving. Turn it off and its a repeat procedure. I've been reading about the fuel pump resistor and it sounds like what i'm dealing with but I don't have the supercharged engine. I have 141k miles on the car though.

I suspected my MAF was the problem all along as when its unplugged the car runs pretty good, plug it in and the car bogs down and has no power. I assume that with the MAF unplugged the computer runs in a rich mode fuel wise? I replaced the MAF and it made no difference. I also got to thinking that maybe I have a bad O2 sensor that is just not tripping any SES light. When I plug the MAF back in, my SES goes out and I'm back to no power. Thought I'd check and see if there is a fuel pump resistor on the non-super charged engine before I go tearing it apart looking for it. Let me know, thanks!

P.S. Replaced MAF, IAC, TPS, spark plugs, fuel filter, and air filter all to no success, still no power unless MAF is unplugged.....also hard to start.

BNaylor
07-29-2008, 08:31 PM
Your '01 LS does not have the fuel pump resistor. Plus it is applicable only to '97 to '00 GS/GSE models with the L67 SII 3800 engine.

If you suspect a fuel pressure problem then connect a gauge. Relatively inexpensive at around $40. Actron makes a good one with a pressure relief valve. Look for 48-55 psi.

Add your comment to this topic!