Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

flashing traction light

jima4624pY2
07-29-2008, 04:15 PM
:crying: i have a 2000 ls sport and the what i think is the ats light its flashing its yellow and it looks like a car skiding and it flashes all the time had a scaner put on and it did not show any codes for that but it did show that i needed a clockspring my air bag light is flashing 3 then 6 and cruise does not work would the flashing car skiding have anything to do with the clockspring thanks:crying:

shorod
07-29-2008, 06:35 PM
I doubt the clockspring will have any effect on the AdvanceTrac light flashing. Since it's not the Check Engine Light that's flashing, the common consumer-grade scan tool will not be able to pull the codes. You'll need to have a professional scan tool with the appropriate software scan the traction control system.

It could be as simple as a bad wheel speed sensor. Does the ABS seem to operate normally if you get out on a gravel or sand road and try to lock up the tires?

-Rod

jima4624pY2
07-30-2008, 03:35 PM
I doubt the clockspring will have any effect on the AdvanceTrac light flashing. Since it's not the Check Engine Light that's flashing, the common consumer-grade scan tool will not be able to pull the codes. You'll need to have a professional scan tool with the appropriate software scan the traction control system.

It could be as simple as a bad wheel speed sensor. Does the ABS seem to operate normally if you get out on a gravel or sand road and try to lock up the tires?

-Rod:grinyes: it was a pro scan tool i beleve it was a snap-on solas and the soft ware was a little cuircut board and it did not show any codes for atc we even drove around to make sure all the sensors on the wheels were working and all 4 showed that they were working is there somethig eles that i could look at thanks:banghead:

shorod
07-30-2008, 06:23 PM
If the light's flashing, there should be codes. So you were able to access the datastream for the ABS system, but it didn't indicate any DTC's?

Did you check all the fuses to see if there were any blown that may be associated with either the ABS or the AdvanceTrac?

Also, check the owner's manual to make sure you are interpretting the light correctly. The icon sounds like the AdvanceTrac icon. Mine would flash when the AdvanceTrac was active (like wheels spinning or car sliding).

-Rod

jima4624pY2
07-30-2008, 07:48 PM
If the light's flashing, there should be codes. So you were able to access the datastream for the ABS system, but it didn't indicate any DTC's?

Did you check all the fuses to see if there were any blown that may be associated with either the ABS or the AdvanceTrac?

Also, check the owner's manual to make sure you are interpretting the light correctly. The icon sounds like the AdvanceTrac icon. Mine would flash when the AdvanceTrac was active (like wheels spinning or car sliding).

-Rod:banghead: yes i did check the fuses all good is there something eles that would make the flashing light flash when you push the ats button on the counsole it does say ats on or ats off but the light still flashing do you know if there is something eles i could check thanks:banghead:

shorod
07-30-2008, 09:24 PM
There are a whole lot of sensors and items that come in to play for the AdvanceTrac system.

According to the factory service manual, "The stability assist module is self-monitoring. When the ignition switch is turned to the RUN position, the stability assist module will do a preliminary electrical check, and at approximately 20 km/h (12 mph) the pump motor is turned on for approximately one half-second." This could be something to check.

Does the light only begin flashing when you press the button to deactivate the system?

-Rod

tkswan
07-31-2008, 10:42 AM
I had a similar problem tracking down a ghost. I have the traction control. Ford will scan the speed sensors for you cheaper than Licolon will. Go first thing in the morning and have a chat with the service manager and tell him you plan to do the work yourself.

They took my car to the service bay and came back in about 5 minutes and told me the front right speed sensor had a short in it which was causing my ABS to activate intermittently. Actually, Ford didnt even charge me.

I changed the speed sensor in about 5 minutes. It took longer to remove the wheel. Havent had a problem with it since.

jima4624pY2
07-31-2008, 11:44 AM
There are a whole lot of sensors and items that come in to play for the AdvanceTrac system.

According to the factory service manual, "The stability assist module is self-monitoring. When the ignition switch is turned to the RUN position, the stability assist module will do a preliminary electrical check, and at approximately 20 km/h (12 mph) the pump motor is turned on for approximately one half-second." This could be something to check.

Does the light only begin flashing when you press the button to deactivate the system?

-Rod:banghead: no the light flashes as soon as you start the car weather you are moving or not or if you press the ats button it tells you on the dash when its on or off it just flashes at the same rythm all the time were would that pump be at or the module thanks:banghead:

jima4624pY2
07-31-2008, 11:45 AM
I had a similar problem tracking down a ghost. I have the traction control. Ford will scan the speed sensors for you cheaper than Licolon will. Go first thing in the morning and have a chat with the service manager and tell him you plan to do the work yourself.

They took my car to the service bay and came back in about 5 minutes and told me the front right speed sensor had a short in it which was causing my ABS to activate intermittently. Actually, Ford didnt even charge me.

I changed the speed sensor in about 5 minutes. It took longer to remove the wheel. Havent had a problem with it since.:banghead: all 4 speed sensors are working fine:banghead:

jima4624pY2
07-31-2008, 06:03 PM
:banghead: all 4 speed sensors are working fine:banghead:yes they are they all showed working:banghead:

shorod
08-01-2008, 07:12 AM
:banghead: no the light flashes as soon as you start the car weather you are moving or not or if you press the ats button it tells you on the dash when its on or off it just flashes at the same rythm all the time were would that pump be at or the module thanks:banghead:

Oh, there's a question for me there. I often skip over posts that don't have punctuation because it's not worth my time to have to read them 3 times to make sense of them.

Both the pump and the module are located at the ABS pump assembly near the Auxiliary Junction Box (AJB).

The service manual cautions that, "CAUTION: Before the module is removed, it is necessary to upload the module configuration information to the New Generation STAR (NGS) tester. For additional information, refer to Section 418-01 (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/S2X%7Eus%7Een%7Eleftside=S2XSI10L.htm&rightside=S2XSI10R.htm&market=us&lang=en%7Egen%7E2col.htm%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20)."

-Rod

tkswan
08-01-2008, 11:21 AM
yes they are they all showed working:banghead:

Cool! but I believe they (Ford) has that scan capeability that Rod mentioned.
They scan the whole ABS traction control system.

Not just the speed sensors. Good luck.

Add your comment to this topic!